Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Default 50NL on Stars - should I skip this level?

I've just started playing cash games properly with a long term goal. Since I started with a low bankroll, I started at 25NL. Been doing quite nicely 6 tabling at this level (I'm not a newbie to poker, just a cash game novice) and now I'm rolled to start bringing in 50NL tables.

400 hands in, I see the players are much tighter, which I expected, but they are also *much* more passive, which is pretty much the opposite of what I thought. More often than not, flops are seen without a single raiser. *Nobody* reraises preflop. After the flop nobody seems to want to get involved at all. Is this normal?

If it is, I can't believe this is anything like 100NL and above (is it?!) so I'm wondering if I'm actually going to learn anything useful. Also, because of the way people play, the earnings potential actually doesn't seem any better than at 25NL (in fact, it's probably worse, and higher variance too) Would it do any harm just sticking to 25NL until I'm rolled for 100NL?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: 50NL on Stars - should I skip this level?

for some reason i do much better at 100nl than 50nl on FTP
Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 PM

400 hands in?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 PM

I would not make such broad assumptions based on 400 hands. Many variables go into this, time of day being one of them. I find that morning vs night play (I am in Australia) makes a big difference.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM

I'm not so much assuming it as asking if it matches other people's experience or not.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM

It does not match my experience at FT, Abs, or Party. Many hands are raised. I would not call them passive.

FWIW. I am finding that the NL25 tables are not that much different than NL10. A few players will have some advancements in their game ie float, etc but not enough to make a difference.

I have played limit for the past 6 years and got tired of grinding so I have changed to NL (waited too long for the change). I am moving up each limit (actually started at NL5) to ensure I am not getting ahead of myself. I can not speak for NL50 yet, but in summary NL10 and 25 are not that different and my win rates are very similar at approx 4PTBB/100. If you feel comfortable, take a stab at the higher limit if you have the bankroll for it. I have the bank roll, but want to ensure I move up appropriately and don't get too far ahead of myself.

This forum has helped me immensely. More than the books I have read. The books are great foundations and a necessity. But to be a winning player, this forum helps to crystallize the readings and put the plays into action.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
400 hands in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
400 hands in?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya skip it. You're obv way better than everyone at this level. 400 hands proves it.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 PM

You probably sat down at the tightest tables available. I haven't played NL 50 in forever but I doubt it's much tougher than NL 25. Jumping straight to NL 100 is probably not a good idea though, just for the mental part of suddenly your bets are 4X bigger and it may affect your play. The play is a bit tougher as well, but not by much. Fewer really bad players mostly.