Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 03:46 AM

Default KQo: Peeling without a Plan

FTP $5/$10.
Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO (51/13/.7) limps, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, CO calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to CO.

After the flop donk, I feel like I'm doomed to be exploited by the worst player at the table. All conceivable lines make me nauseous.

Could this travesty have been avoided?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: KQo: Peeling without a Plan

Considering his stats I think I play it the same. I think the flop call is pretty standard on that board and I would have a hard time calling once he bets again on the turn.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Maybe a case can be made for raising on the flop?

1) I don't think a player with those stats 3bets a 7 or 56 here, so we can fold to a 3bet.
2) He folds his air and we win the pot (which is good, because we aren't calling down and he'll fire the second barrel when we just call the flop like always)
3) We can check behind turn and river a pair.

And yes, donks like this are teh suck [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] In his review of my hands Bremen said 'I tend to call/fold too but it is exploitable' and that sums it up pretty nicely imho
Old 07-07-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) I don't think a player with those stats 3bets a 7 or 56 here, so we can fold to a 3bet.
2) He folds his air and we win the pot (which is good, because we aren't calling down and he'll fire the second barrel when we just call the flop like always)

[/ QUOTE ]
Free card play with a twist? I like it, I think. He's definitely not the type to go crazy with air, and it might be worth the small investment to see the river.

OTOH, I've set a small bet on fire if he stubbornly donks again on a turn rag.

Interesting line to consider.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Free card play with a twist? I like it, I think. He's definitely not the type to go crazy with air, and it might be worth the small investment to see the river.

OTOH, I've set a small bet on fire if he stubbornly donks again on a turn rag.

Interesting line to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop will always be very close between calling and raising in this spot. Folding is an option that shouldnt be considered without a strong read. Given the way you played the flop, its time to fold the turn as you dont have a strong enough read to conclude that calling down with King high will be profitable against this opponent.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 PM

ILP, if you call the flop is the plan to fold the turn UI? If there are only 6 cards in the deck that have you showing down you don't have enough there to chase.

In order for this plan to be feasable, villain would have to change gears and check the turn some percentage of the time, allowing us to take a free card and re-eval on the river, correct?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM

I don´t like peeling flops like this because it is very rare that a villain checks turn after betting flop.
I would fold flop if this is the first time I´ve seen him doing this.If I´ve seen him doing it before I would raise flop 1/2 the time with the intention to reevaluate after the turn card
Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Given his stats, raise flop and fold to a flop 3 bet or turn donk

v a flop donk i'm not willing to give up straight away.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:01 PM

I think any option here is close.....fold, call, raise.

I probably just fold here and move on. This player looks very passive and he's betting into strength (preflop raise). He could have a monster and you are drawing thin.

If you've seen this player donk flops often, then I'd raise, hope he checks turn...and only call river if a K or Q hits.