Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you enjoy interviewing guys while they have their ding dongs swinging in the locker room?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a stupid question.

[/ QUOTE ]

ANSWER THE QUESTION!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously question, and try to be honest: Do you think you are bias towards teams from Cincinnati, or do you consider yourself to be completely objective?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're an employed sports writer...you eventually will lose your interest in being a true crazed fan of any team. Honestly, first because you have to find that line between objectivity and being a fan at first.

Then, the longer you do it, you find out what most of these guys are like, you see alot of the bs that goes on, you find out stuff about teams, players, that you wish you didn't know and you just lose interest in being a fan and just do your job.
Seriously...you HAVE to be objective and I could draw that line. Not being able to not only effects your work, but your reputation. I never had a problem separating objectivity from homerdom.

MANY sportswriters can't...and they suffer for it eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Follow up question: If this is the case, can you truly ever be a fan of any team?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Did you write for the Cincinnati Enquirer?
Is a guy named Neil Schmidt there?
Is Jack Murray crankier than ever now?
Does anyone like Paul Daugherty?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the most famous player you interviewed?

Which player got the most mad at you and for what question?

Who is your favorite sportswriter?

[/ QUOTE ]

MOST FAMOUS PLAYER - Barry Larkin
MOST MAD AT ME - Barry Larkin - "Barry, just wanted to get a comment on the fact you surpassed xx in becoming the active player with the most ABs without a grand slam. Obviously not something you savor, but, can I get a comment..."

Larkin - "Who the f are you and what is your f'ing problem, m'fer"

FAVORITE SPORTSWRITER - Jay Mariotti (started in Cincy, read him as a 7 yr old dreaming of being a writer)
Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 PM

^^^ This didn't answer my question. You just quoted everything with no explanation.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:07 PM

Murph,

I am going to defend Barry Larkin here and say you should have known better than to try to talk to him at that time. It couldn't wait a day? Anyone that has any heart for the game is probably not gonna answer a question like that at that time.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:07 PM

Shouldnt your thread be titled Ask me what it WAS like being a sports writer?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you write for the Cincinnati Enquirer?
Is a guy named Neil Schmidt there?
Is Jack Murray crankier than ever now?
Does anyone like Paul Daugherty?

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Nope, not the Cincinnati Enquirer. Close though!

(2) Neil Schmidt was there when I was working for the other paper in town. Great guy! He and I covered a lot of things together when I first started and I got to know him really well. Would love to know where he is now...last I heard, he was out of the business completely.

Great writer, even better guy..I just think, like me, he lost the fever for it. You just get so worn down and jaded..he was better than what he was doing. I hope he's well.

(3) Like most men with as many years in the business, cranky is a perfect descriptor. Last I saw of him, he was putting a new definition of cranky on the books. LOL.

(4) Surprisingly, Bob, most people DO like him in the industry around here. He's respected for his work by those that know what's up...but he's also lost a lot of respect bc he's really a prick unless you're in his inner circle.

The guy is the best in the area IMO. It'sj ust a shame he doesn't have a little bit more graciousness and personality to go along with his brilliance.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Murph,

I am going to defend Barry Larkin here and say you should have known better than to try to talk to him at that time. It couldn't wait a day? Anyone that has any heart for the game is probably not gonna answer a question like that at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand why you would think that...and it's natural unless you know the business...however, we were an afternoon paper and we would like like a**clown idiots if we sat on that for a day bc it would be printed two days later.

Plus, you can't sit on something that happens for a day...it's not the nature of the business. Good, bad, or indifferent, you have to get the story after it happens and get it printed. People want the information at their fingertips ... not 2-3 days later.

Honestly, Barry - being as established with the media as he was - should have known that was coming and should have handled it with more class. Bottom line, he was pissed bc they lost and he knew I was new, so he took it out on me.

These guys get lauded constantly when they are doing great things...they need to be men when they do something not great and get asked about it. See Sean Casey.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldnt your thread be titled Ask me what it WAS like being a sports writer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose so...but, I still freelance, so - technically - I'm still considered a sportswriter! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]