Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What cardrooms comes to mind when you think B&M
I have small local mini-cardrooms in my state 30 29.70%
My buddy vinnie or Guido's house 1 0.99%
Tropicana,Sands,Taj Mahal 11 10.89%
Wynn, Mirage, Bellagio 54 53.47%
Oldschool Binions 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: question 28

[ QUOTE ]
you raise and get called by a tag player, and you have ak

$2000 stacks 5-10nl villian is tag.
flop is A K 8 you bet , he raises, you rearaise, he goes all in. do you call or fold.

i cant see myself folding here, but should i.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had exactly this hand happen in my last home tournament game. I had the AKo with the same pattern. Blinds were at 25/50 with stacks averaging 1250. Only thing I think he would have had that wins is 88. I called then, but folded here. After thinking about it, I think I should have folded instead because an all in would only come from 88, AA, KK or AK or 10% bluff. The best that could realistically be hoped for is a split.

Comments?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Donkey Test

If you play the way you answered the questions, then you should probably move up. But, if you lack patience and loosen up out of boredom and/or tilt (I suppose the opposite/ extremely weak-tight could happen), then you might need to work on that before moving up. There are plenty of players who know how to play well, but don't carry it out at the tables.
Also, if you feel you've beaten NL10, then move up. I turned a $125 deposit at that level into $1250, then moved up to NL25 with a bankroll of a little over 300 (pocketing the rest), feeling I had beaten NL10.
Only you know whether or not you're ready to move up. Make sure your bankroll is sufficient/ many would say you'd need around $500, 300 was plenty for me- I'm sure many have gotten by with less/ take little stabs at NL25 until it is/ or move up slow and methodical/ or just buy it.
Winning consistently is the real indicator. If you do that and you wait too long to move up, then you're just costing yourself money.
There are good bankroll threads in this forum. Just do a search.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Beats the hell out of my 85! LOL. At least now I know I really do suck, and have lots of work to do...LOTS.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 AM

Question 8.

Someone already answered it IMO. You should push here, the min. raise would look seriously suspicious and as played his only reasonable holding is AK, and on a board of A,K,8 I doubt he is getting away from this. If he would call the 800, he would also call the £1000 so you might as well try and maximise the value of your hand.

Question 9.

An easy call IMO. As already said the first raiser is passive and it looks as though the other guy is trying to isolate. So if you call you can be almost certain the passive player is not going to re-raise again and therefore you are getting good oods to catch your set.

BM

p.s. keep it coming!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 AM

i did 103.... eventually did them pretty fast and didn't go crazy on the descriptions of the players.... i think so much is in the interpretation of the writing, whether you're a pessimistic or optimistic person by nature (and both can win i think) and what your actual experience is..... i supppose on tons of those you should be folding, but then i see the huge criticism on here that people are "weak"
Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Question 10

Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Question 10

Q#10:

This question is obviously meant to contrast w/ Q#9:

Q#9:
[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NL Cash game. 6 handed. Everyone has about $2,000. A passive middle position player raises to $40. Button re-raises to $70. You are in the BB and have: 8s8c. What should you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q#10:
[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NL Cash game. 9 handed. Everyone has about $1,000. Unknown middle position raises to $40. Tight player on the button re-raises to $140. You are in the BB and have: AsQs. What should you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) 9-handed, not 6-handed.
-- More players = greater chance you are dominated. Short handed = play more loose.

2) 100BB stacks, not 200BB stacks.
-- Deeper stacks = play more loose (implied odds increase).

3) Unknown MP, not passive MP.
-- Passive player less likely to re-raise.

4) Tight button, not unknown button.
-- Tight player less likely to re-raise without a very strong hand.

5) Button pot-sized raise, not min-raise.
-- Button more likely to have a real hand, not just isolating.

6) Pocket 88, not AQs.
-- Pocket pair has set value even if dominated by a higher pair. AQs is worth very little if dominated.

I said fold. You have a decent chance of being dominated here with opponent likely holding: AK, QQ, KK, AA.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 AM

I agree with the above, but would add that even in the event that the flop contains two hearts, you would still have to play them out of position. If, say, the flop were Ac, Xh, Xh, then you would either have to check, giving the button a chance to attack, or you would have to bet, which could very well be throwing money down a rat-hole.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Fold it. AQ (even suited) plays bad OOP. It plays even worse vs. multiple players.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM

it's funny. my answers seem to dovetail with all the popular responses to the poll questions. definitely some ties though. and my score was 103, basically mediocre. so that suggests some of the popular answers are wrong.

i didn't like the wording on one question. the folding of 88 "because someone has higher pair".... you could fold because you didn't think the stacks were deep enough relative to raise. so much is your recent. are you going to get paid off enough on flopped set for that depth stack?