Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: bigbabyjesus\'s marathon training log

[ QUOTE ]
The first week was a half week and got done quickly.

I didn't do very well, to be honest. Both runs were mental struggles since I have decided to start running without music as to not destroy my hearing, and the adjustment is a lot tougher than I imagined.

I've been running 3 miles in 28-30 minutes for the past couple months so it's not like I'm pushing my body to a new limit, but it felt just as hard as the first time I did it.

Music always helped push me when I felt like quitting, and also helped time go by much faster in my mind. My first run without music, I figured in my mind it was 12 or 13 minutes; I was only at 7. Later in the run, I estimated I was at 25 minutes; I was only at 20.

I also skipped one of the bike workouts because I had gone surfing after my run and my legs were pretty burnt out.

I did my first run of week 2 and things were a little better, however.

It should be noted these are all still treadmill runs; I haven't bought a running watch yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're worried about high listening volumes I'd suggest looking into a pair of in-ear monitors (IEM) rather than than ear buds or typical headphones. An IEM will cut back on most of the background noise which will allow you to listen at a more comfortable level.

Also I think running on the treadmill could have a lot to do with your problems. Running on the treadmill is pretty boring and without any music as a distraction I can understand losing interest relatively quickly. I've found that running outside is much easier because the changing scenery helps take my mind off of the fact that running is kind of boring and uncomfortable. I find that my runs are most successful when I'm focusing on anything but the actual run.