Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Default AQ

SB is unknown.

Full Tilt 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero... raises ?

I still have 2 people behind me to act. Since the board is quite coordinated, i want to make draws to pay. On the other hand, SBs bet makes me feel a bit unwell. My pf raise and flop check looks exactly like AK,AQ that missed, and he must realize i hold at least an A here. If the turn was a Queen, i'd like a raise more, since he would not put me on a Queen that easily.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: AQ

I would have c-bet the flop.

The SB coldcalled your PFR, and if he is a bit decent, he likely has a small or middle pocket pair, or a weaker ace, or bigger suited connectors.
The pocket pair theory goes especially for MP2 and CO, who had an even bigger coldcall to make - and didn't know how multiway the action would be.

Your check on the flop showed weakness, so he could very well be betting with either a flush draw (diamonds or clubs), a weak ace that made a two-pair, or a flopped set that missed a check-raise...
He could also be betting thin air, attempting to take down the pot.

I'd still like a turn raise to have him HU and in position, but if he'd 3-bet, I'd strongly consider releasing my hand...
If he just calls, I would assume he'll check the river, and then I'd only bet if the river card is a blank, else I'd probably check behind...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Preflop: Good

Flop: Good. There is no way I'm continuation betting this flop with a million players.

Turn: Easy raise. The truth is that SB probably isn't even thinking about what hands you might hold.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 AM

Raise. You're probably ahead, and there are lots of draws out there for the other two guys to hold.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise. You're probably ahead, and there are lots of draws out there for the other two guys to hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Good. There is no way I'm continuation betting this flop with a million players.

Turn: Easy raise. The truth is that SB probably isn't even thinking about what hands you might hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
This actually makes a lot more sense than what I said...

I nearly always c-bet when I'm the preflop aggressor, even a missed AK or AQ against a wide field. That could very well be why those hands are some of my biggest losing hands.
(Thanks for making me think about that, Niediam!)

And I tend to give unknowns too much credit, so he may in fact have any ace, and just think "hey, I've got top pair" - forgetting there was a preflop raiser.
I'm always careful with unknowns until I see at least a couple of their hands on showdown...
Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 AM

I need a more favorable flop than this to c-bet 5-handed. Give me a paired board like 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] where I have a backdoor flush draw and less straight draws to worry about and I will probably bet.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM

:g:

Raise. You are probably ahead and there's two people left to act, so you need to protect your hand.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:31 PM

I raise this too. There are some other OC combos we could have. I think villain could bet a worse A or a strong draw here.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Raise for sure. I win a fair number of small pots betting out second pair on the turn scare card when the flop is checked around - that could well be what SB is doing. Some people will call you down with total air or a low pp, others will fold unpaired broadway cards. It is one of the few times in the micros where a bluff can actually work. Hmm, I must check pokertracker to see if that is actually true...

Especially if you were the preflop UTG raiser - chances are half of them (the smart ones) will think your flop check was a failed attempt to checkraise, the other half will think you are trying to bluff the ace and call you down. Either way you are strong, so a raise is definitely in order.

Raising means you have a shot at knocking out the two people who have position on you, buying the button for the river as well.