Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Top pair no kicker

SB is 37% VPIP, super aggressive, but I only have 57 hands on him so it could be muck. I don't know UTG, UTG +2 is the classic fish, plays crap out of position and sucks postflop.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Raise good here? My thinking is that if I'm 3bet I call and make a decision on the turn depending on what falls. Also a decent chance of them checking the river to me, giving me more opportunities to get ahead of bigger kickers.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Top pair no kicker

I would usually call down here and let SB bet the hand for me. The board isnt drawy and the pot is small, so there isnt a great need to protect. If you do get aggressive, you may waste bets when you are outkicked.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM

The raise for value is perfect with the two players stuck in the middle.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 AM

Yep, raise is good there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would usually call down here and let SB bet the hand for me. The board isnt drawy and the pot is small, so there isnt a great need to protect. If you do get aggressive, you may waste bets when you are outkicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were a heads up situation I would agree with you that we call down when the villain may be firing with complete air and we don't want him folding. However, since we have two callers sandwiched I raise here to build the pot when we are likely ahead. I don't even mind being three bet by the super aggressive villain if it gets the two others to fold.

OP: If this gets checked to us on the turn this is not a situation where we want to take a free card. It will be highly likely you are ahead at that point and you should value bet and make the others pay to draw.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM

I don't get raising here at all.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:53 PM

* grunch *

I'm inclined to raise in that situation and I have scars to prove it. The advantage of getting 3-bet is it faces the UTGs with two bets so you may get rid of them, isolating and in position. Doesn't tell you much about SB's hand, though.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Top pair with a BDFD and a longshot straight draw. Gives me a possible free card on the turn, and anyone with a stronger ace (like maybe SB) is likely to 3bet and/or donk turn - which gives me information for my turn decision.

Calling is asking for a turn donk from SB, and it's likely I'm outkicked and would be folding without an improvement (IMO). Raising gives me up to two more streets, or the information I need to fold that top pair early. If I am ahead, it gives me the two players in the middle adding value to my pot.

And even if I am behind, which is very possible with my weak kicker, the total of 4 people in the pot gives me enough equity to make the flop raise profitable (I think).

The next street plays itself (IMO), as does the rest of the hand.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Top pair with a BDFD and a longshot straight draw. Gives me a possible free card on the turn, and anyone with a stronger ace (like maybe SB) is likely to 3bet and/or donk turn - which gives me information for my turn decision.

Calling is asking for a turn donk from SB, and it's likely I'm outkicked and would be folding without an improvement (IMO). Raising gives me up to two more streets, or the information I need to fold that top pair early. If I am ahead, it gives me the two players in the middle adding value to my pot.

And even if I am behind, which is very possible with my weak kicker, the total of 4 people in the pot gives me enough equity to make the flop raise profitable (I think).

The next street plays itself (IMO), as does the rest of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

if SB is as aggro as you say, why are you so sure he wouldnt 3 bet with a hand like A2 or 8x?

i like the flop raise fwiw, but its for value. i wouldnt attempt to get much information from it.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB is 37% VPIP, super aggressive, but I only have 57 hands on him so it could be muck. I don't know UTG, UTG +2 is the classic fish, plays crap out of position and sucks postflop.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB checks</font>, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> Everybody calls.

Now I have top pair, a nut flush draw and a gutshot straight draw, so a bet is standard IMO.

River J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
And the rest plays itself.

The flop decision was the trickiest, which is why I posted it here. The rest was fairly straightforward.