Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: To everyone bashing Pokernews

How is PN setup to cover the ME? Is it a few roving reporters who do the chip counts and report on the hands and each one uploads their own stories and counts to the main site? Or is there an editor who takes their reports and counts and sends it to the site?

If I were setting this up and money/space was tight I would prioritize by hiring a couple or reporters (for the later stages of the ME) who would write the hand reports and an editor who would consolidate the reports, edit typos, and who would have an assistant (volunteer)who would make the actual postings. This isn't difficult to do with laptops and accessible accounts. Chip counters should be experienced and should be able to send their counts to another person (volunteer probabaly) who would consolidate them, have a spreadsheet with built in formulas to calculate the difference between them and the total # chips in play to see if they are off by major amounts) and some macros to highlight any counts that deviate from their previous ones by a certain percentage so they can spot decimal errors quickly and before they are uploaded.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
How is PN setup to cover the ME? Is it a few roving reporters who do the chip counts and report on the hands and each one uploads their own stories and counts to the main site? Or is there an editor who takes their reports and counts and sends it to the site?

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i say at the bay 101 wpt. they have like 5-6 roaming reporters who periodically go back to their laptop to type up an update. i imagine this is done on a much larger scale for the wsop.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerNews has done a great job. What are you guys talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread would not have happened last year. Nobody defended Card Player's coverage.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Pokernews is FAR better than Cardplayer coverage ever was ...

It is enormously difficult to cover a live event, especially when you are the ugly stepchild pushed around by ESPN.

Pokernews has done pretty well on the interviews I have seen. Thei chip coverage and updates could stand some improvement, however, the playing field within the torunament area is problematic at best.

Overall, I would give them a B grade, with room for improvement. .... To put it into perspective, I would rate ESPN last year at a C +. Last year's Cardplayer coverage rated a C - at best.

However, PokerNews has NOT tried to manufacture news about its owners or screwed around with coverage to get its faces on the news.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Pokernews is FAR better than Cardplayer coverage ever was ...

Given how difficult a job it must be, especially with the similar chip colours I think the coverage has been excellent.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM

I think Pokernews is doing a very good job.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Pokernews is doing a very good job.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 12:47 PM

I think the poker news coverage got much better over the course of the series. There's only one thing I think they were really deficient in: there should be a way, at all times, to easily tell (about) how many players are left in an event. Cardplayer always had this, but Pokernews never did, until you got down to the final few tables.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM

It really doesn't matter how bad CP was. Pokernews still is making some pretty basic mistakes. I think we all have some understanding of how hard this event is to cover. That means that we should accept that things will be slow, and that sometimes a hand won't be accurate.

The mistakes that are not acceptable are the dropped zeros on chipcounts, incorrect bust out notifications. Stuff that should be caught if people were doing some basic journalism 101 editing.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM

The thing I dislike most about Pokernews coverage, is that I miss that genuine independent coverage of the event. By paying to be Harrah's designated media whore, we lost stories like the one's about bad structures, bad tent, etc... the most critical story from pokernews was the cards and the chips. I miss the Independent News Authority, not the paid PR arm of Harrahs.....