Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Faking being hypnotized

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should view being hypnotized as a big experiment in taking orders from authority figures. Like the Milgram shock experiment or the Stanford prison experiment. I just followed orders because I was in an awkward position.

[/ QUOTE ]

were you pretending to be hypnotized because you thought it was funny or because you didnt want to tell the hypnotist and crowd you werent hypnotized?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should view being hypnotized as a big experiment in taking orders from authority figures. Like the Milgram shock experiment or the Stanford prison experiment. I just followed orders because I was in an awkward position.

[/ QUOTE ]

were you pretending to be hypnotized because you thought it was funny or because you didnt want to tell the hypnotist and crowd you werent hypnotized?

[/ QUOTE ]

i want to pretend to be hypnotized then start shouting things like "oh god. oh god. oh god. i swear i didn't see her crossing the street. oh my god we have to hide the body."

or "daddy no, this game isn't fun anymore and it hurts my bum."
Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypnosis = real

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hypnotize people. I've done it.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a while ago, but it was probably a mixture of wanting to see how far I could go and being a bit nervous about ruining the entire act. When I volunteered, I figured that (1) I would have been actually hypnotized or (2) if I wasn't being hypnotized, I would have been dismissed. But then he told everyone to open their eyes and I still was totally under my own control. I wasn't ready for this possibility and just played along because I couldn't think of anything else to do.

Forget the prison experiment... I was only thinking about the Milgrim experiment. The links to those two great experiments are very weak. I was just noting that those in positions of authority can get people to do very stupid things simply because all people are conditioned (to some degree) to do what the authority figures want.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypnosis = real

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you have.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i want to pretend to be hypnotized then start shouting things like "oh god. oh god. oh god. i swear i didn't see her crossing the street. oh my god we have to hide the body."

or "daddy no, this game isn't fun anymore and it hurts my bum."

[/ QUOTE ]

You are supposed to be under someone else's control, not delving back into childhood memories.

I think that it would be funny to take certain assignments too far though and say it was due to hypnosis.
Hypnotizer: OK, you are now physically repulsed by the person next to you.
Faker: HOLY CRAP KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT NOW (and throw a chair at them).
Old 07-18-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypnosis = real

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Details?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM

I have done the exact same thing OP did. Mine was about 10 years ago, and I too acted like a total imbecile on stage for the sake of the show. My friends, too, thought I was for real.

As for whether or not hynosis is real at all...sure it is. I think there is some small portion of people that can actually be hypnotized in the way OP is talking about.

I think other, much subtler hypnosis is very real. Like hypnosis that helps you quit smoking (my grandmother smoked a pack and a half a day for fifty years. She tried quitting many times many different ways and never succeeded. She finally went to hypnotherapy for it, one session, walked out and said she never touched a cig again.) Or that helps you learn, or to recall things you may have forgotten.

AAMOF, MythBusters did a show where some scene occured, and then they were all tested about the details. Then they were hypnotized and told to recall the scene as if it were being played out in front of them on a TV screen, able to FF, RW, etc. Every one of them did much better on the post-hypnosis follow-up test.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have done the exact same thing OP did. Mine was about 10 years ago, and I too acted like a total imbecile on stage for the sake of the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about this stuff, but this would seem to me to be exactly what hypnosis is. I can't imagine that everyone on stage would "play along" in any other scenario.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have done the exact same thing OP did. Mine was about 10 years ago, and I too acted like a total imbecile on stage for the sake of the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about this stuff, but this would seem to me to be exactly what hypnosis is. I can't imagine that everyone on stage would "play along" in any other scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

They would if they were 'hypnotized' in the traditional sense.