Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Running well, and the inevitable reality check

I've been playing uNL for over a year now. Even since January I've been crushing the game to the tune of ~8PTBB/100.

Since moving to 25NL, however, I've "hit a wall." Or so I was thinking. Last month I had my worst non-losing month where I only earned ~3PTBB/100. So far this month my results haven't been much better.

I was pulling my hair out. I was thinking "These players can't be that much better than 10NL. Maybe I suck as bad as a secretly think I do?"

Well, after some review of my sessions and rational reflection, I have come to accept that 8PTBB/100 was an unsustainable win rate, and 3PTBB/100 is much more in line with what a good player should expect to make in the long run.

Just so this isn't a total BBV, I wanted to post my story and just kind of remind other new players that no, in all probability you aren't God's gift to poker and that anyone can run hot for a short time, even months. Eventually the Bitch Goddess evens the playing field, and only those with an actual skill advantage end up in the plus column.

Take heed. Hubris and self-deception are the Original Sins of poker players. Guard yourself, lest you think too highly of yourself than you ought and the Bitch Goddess brings you to ruin.