Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Some common foods GOOD/BAD?

Hey guys,

I've been reading up on a lot of the health n fitness threads, and I think I have a decent sense of what to eat, but I'm not sure if my diet is where I want it to be. Can you guys just tell me if I should be dropping any of these items? Im 6'0 175lbs been lifting since June.

Quaker Oatmeal - I eat this about 5 times a week, its usually the cinnamin n sugar, or apples n cinnamin or w/e) does it really hafta be no flavor or is the 2% fat gonna matter?

Bread - I'm eating about 2-3 sandwhiches a day, just wondering if I should cut down on the bread.

Gatorade - I drink about 2-3 a day, should I just be drinking water?

Easy Mac (the mac n cheese)

Granola bars - they seem pretty healthy

Cereals - Life n Raisin Brain are the 2 I eat

These are the question marks in my weekly diet, the rest of the stuff I pretty much know whats good n bad. Any advice would be great. Oh btw, im working on cutting not bulking.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Some common foods GOOD/BAD?

what are your goals? clean weight gain? lose weight?

oatmeal is probably okay.

try to eat whole grain bread.

don't drink gatorade unless you're working out or just finished a workout. it's just sugar.

easy mac. umm this is crap.

you could do worse than granola bars, but they aren't great.

these cereals are okay.

none of these foods are so terrible on their own. it's all about the quantities consumed and getting proper macro breakdown. these seem like carb rich foods. are you getting enough protein and healthy fats?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 PM

the quaker oatmeal packets have a bunch of sugar in them, slow cook oats are better

eat whole grain breads, white bread is not good...

easy mac = obvious

cereal - most cereals have a ton of carbs and not much fiber...check yours...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 AM

6'/175 and I'm curious how/why you feel what you are doing is broke/needs fixing?

But just to give you something to think about/maybe some tools.

Compare oats with a flavored instant oatmeal:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21U4.html
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20Pq.html

The serving sizes are off, figure the cup of oats is 3 or 4 to 1 packet.

You lose protein, good fat, and fiber and trade it in for refined sugar and sodium.

Seems to me like a horrible trade for the convenience of not adding fruit or honey or cinnamon or some combination to oats.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im 6'0 175lbs been lifting since June. ...
Any advice would be great. Oh btw, im working on cutting not bulking.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 piece of advice : STOP CUTTING. You are thin enough, you need more muscle. Eat more protein.

[ QUOTE ]

Quaker Oatmeal - I eat this about 5 times a week, its usually the cinnamin n sugar, or apples n cinnamin or w/e) does it really hafta be no flavor or is the 2% fat gonna matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have said it already - but you need to just make some real oats, not the flavored packet. You can add some real honey and butter and still be healthier than the packets.

[ QUOTE ]

Bread - I'm eating about 2-3 sandwhiches a day, just wondering if I should cut down on the bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine if you don't take in too much other carbs. Try to get whole wheat bread, or even a multigrain + flax bread if you don't mind the taste.

[ QUOTE ]

Gatorade - I drink about 2-3 a day, should I just be drinking water?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pure sugar poison. I drink Gatorade sometimes, but only if I'm biking > 30 miles or so.

[ QUOTE ]

Easy Mac (the mac n cheese)

Granola bars - they seem pretty healthy

Cereals - Life n Raisin Brain are the 2 I eat

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these come in packages where you can easily read the nutrition components, I'm not sure why you need to ask about any of this here.

A lot of the normal brands of granola bars (like Quaker and Nature Valley) are sugar poison. You can get healthy and tasty granola bars if you look carefully. The carb content is always going to be high, you just don't want it from sugar.

Dunno about Life, but Kellog's and Post Raisin Brans have tons of added sugar. Again, you can get them without the added sugar at places like Trader Joe's.

EVERYBODY STOP EATING PROCESSED JUNK THAT'S LOADED WITH SUGAR IT ISN'T THAT HARD HYACHACHACHACHA
Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

#1 piece of advice : STOP CUTTING. You are thin enough, you need more muscle. Eat more protein.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe cutting is the wrong word, I just want to cut the fat in my body while still gaining muscle. Not trying to lose weight
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 AM

A guy with very little muscle mass could easily be skinnyfat 6' at 175.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 AM

I have a question about oatmeal. In other threads, I notice oatmeal being mentioned as a good food choice, though I think bagels (even multigrain bagels) are deemed objectionable.

I thought that oatmeal was pretty similar to a multigrain bagel, nutritionally. Aren't both full of carbs? What's the difference?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

Well with 100% rolled oats, you always know what you're getting, and that it's healthy. With bagels or breads, even those touted as whole grain, you need to check the ingredients because often they contain a lot of crap.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that oatmeal was pretty similar to a multigrain bagel, nutritionally. Aren't both full of carbs? What's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

also afaik oats are not gmo food (yet), if that matters. while wheat isn't either (I don't think), corn is and anything made with corn syrup (hfcs) is gmo.