Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 11:58 AM

Default NL25 One pair hands and SPR theory questions

Hi 2+2!

I would like to learn more about SPR and strong one-pair hands.
Iīm thinking of AK and AQ hitting the flop.

Assume unknown villains please.
Itīs NL25 in my case but I am interested in other stakes as well.

<u>General question:</u>
Whatīs the SPR that is so low that my only concern is how to get all the money in?

<u>Specific questions:</u>
Here are two hands where I didnīt find any breaks because of SPR when I was up against unknown midstacks. Is this correct?
(I thought itīd be easier to present them in short form rather than complete hand historys.)

<u>Hand #1</u>
I have AK in EP, I raise preflop to $0.85 (~3,5BB raise). Midstack in MP calls (62bb stack). The big blind calls (heīs deep). Flop comes K high w/ possible straight draw (K76). It is checked to me. I make a c-bet close to pot. Villain to my left min-raises. The player to my right folds. I shove.

<u>Hand #2</u>
I have AQ in EP, I raise preflop to $0.85 (~3,5BB raise). The cutoff calls (deep) and small blind calls (46bb stack). Flop comes Q-high w/ possible flush draw. Small blind checks. I make a c-bet close to pot. Cut-off folds. Small blind shoves. I call.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: NL25 One pair hands and SPR theory questions

Typically you want to look for an SPR between 2 and 8 for TPTK or overpair-type hands. In PNL, the authors say that when you don't know your opponents, you might use a target SPR of 4 for TPTK hands like AK &amp; AQ.

Obviously you would adjust these numbers up or down if you had reads. Against a super tighty you might look for an SPR of 2...against a donk who will overcommit with TP weak kicker, you could push the upper range towards 8.

Also, remember that you have to adjust your target SPR's down in multi-way pots. While you might stack be willing to commit with TPTK heads-up you wouldn't feel so good about it in a 3 or 4 way pot.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: NL25 One pair hands and SPR theory questions

Its the latest 2+2 book on nl, not sure of the title.

For 1 pair hands, they have a very long chapter on target spr's. You are either trying to achieve a very low SPR around 4. If this is not possible then somewhere from 20 and above also will work for 1 pair hands. The numbers to avoid are between 8-15 with 13 being the worst. This is for heads up. Multi way to automatically go in, you need even lower SPR's.

The have distinctinos between overpairs and one pairs. You are more likely to want to play for stacks with low SPR's with overpairs versus just one pair hands. They are slightly better. I lent out my copy or I would tell you the title of the book.

Dennisa