Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: The APPT Macau: The First Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament in China!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Fly nonstop to Hong Kong from either San Francisco (United, Cathay Pacific, or Singapore Airlines) or Los Angeles (Cathay Pacific) and transfer to the TurboJet Sea Express ferry at the Hong Kong Airport Ferry Terminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long does it take to get there on the ferry?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) to Macau TurboJet Sea Express Ferry takes about 50 minutes.

Fare is HKD$180 (about USD$23) from HKIA to Macau, and HKD$200 (about USD$26) from Macau to HKIA.

There is no need to clear passport control at HKIA. You claim your luggage first and then proceed to the Macau/Pearl River Delta ferry shuttle bus gate to purchase your ferry ticket.

There are 4 ferries each day from HKIA to Macau.

If you are arriving in HK in the late afternoon around 6pm (late morning departure from SFO or LAX via United or Cathay Pacific), you will take the 10pm ferry and you will arrive in Macau at around 11pm.

http://www.turbojetseaexpress.com/

The Grand Waldo Hotel, where the APPT event is taking place, runs a free shuttle bus for guests between the Macau Ferry Terminal and the hotel every 15 minutes from 10am until 11:45pm.

http://www.grandwaldohotel.com/eng/map.php

http://www.grandwaldohotel.com/images/bus.jpg

Cathay Pacific also offers midnight departure from SFO and LAX for morning arrival in Hong Kong.

Singapore Airlines offers midnight departure from SFO for morning arrival in Hong Kong.

--

If you are flying out of Hong Kong before 1pm (i.e. on United nonstop to SFO) when you leave the hotel after the tournament, you will have to get to the Macau ferry terminal via taxi in order to catch the 8:15am ferry so that you can arrive at HKIA by 9:30am. The 10am ferry is too late (arriving at HKIA air terminal at 11:15am after the shuttle bus ride from the HKIA ferry terminal), as you want to arrive at HKIA about 2 hours before departure in order to clear inspection.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 AM

the_main,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time at the APPT Seoul. We're really happy with how that event worked out.

garcia1000,

The television footage will be shown in quite a few countries around the world. We'll announce details about that early in 2008.

blueman,

Thanks for your colourful suggestion about "a rule that players are allowed to bend and rip cards after a bad beat" like in baccarat when some players "mangle the cards when you get pissed and pound your chest and spew foam from your mouth when you win". We thought about it, but as we're going to be using plastic-laminated cards during the events I wouldn't want anyone to be injured while trying to tear the cards (and please don't try) or pounding their chest. But if you want to create a short modern dance piece interpreting that idea with paper cards, I'd love to see it on YouTube.

All,

Thanks so much for your interest in the APPT Macau and participation in satellite qualifiers on PokerStars. We already have 26 registered players for the $2,500 Main Event and 4 players for the $15,000. And judging by the buzz in Melbourne (I'm at the PokerNewsCup), both these games are going to be BIG. Exciting times.

Cheers,

Jeffrey
http://www.appt.com
Old 10-26-2007, 02:08 AM

Tatsu, are you playing poker news cup ME? Do i know you down here? Were you at the party last night?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:46 AM

United Airlines flies nonstop to Hong Kong from both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO).

Lowest roundtrip fare from LAX (non-refundable economy class) booked directly from united.com is $612. Lowest fare from SFO? $662. Nonstop flight departs LAX or SFO late morning for early evening arrival in Hong Kong.

United's trans-Pacific fare sale ends October 31.

Cathay Pacific's economy class roundtrip fare to Hong Kong from either LAX or SFO is around $810 for evening arrival in Hong Kong, and around $900 for morning arrival in Hong Kong.

---

For those who want to fly into Macau via Taipei, EVA Air is charging around $880 for non-refundable economy class roundtrip from either LAX or SFO with 14-day advance purchase.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the hotel where the tournament is being played? Is it a really nice hotel, or just ok?
Through PS the rate looks to be only $100/night whereas Wynn is about $500/night.
Assuming Wynn Macau is the same as Wynn Las Vegas, what Vegas hotel would the one where the tournament is being held compare to?
How far is Wynn from the tournament?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 AM

The hotel is very nice. It is cheap because it is in a relatively out-of-the-way location. imo
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

can someone price out a private jet from LA to macau?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have an opinion on the hotel where the tournament is being played? Is it a really nice hotel, or just ok?
Through PS the rate looks to be only $100/night whereas Wynn is about $500/night.
Assuming Wynn Macau is the same as Wynn Las Vegas, what Vegas hotel would the one where the tournament is being held compare to?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
The Grand Waldo is very nice by Chinese standards, and the Wynn Macau is very nice by Western standards. They were build for different clientele and where you stay depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.

For example, the Chinese food at the Grand Waldo is excellent, and I strongly recommend both the traditional Hot Pot restaurant on the 1st floor and the Dim Sum restaurant on the 2nd. At the Wynn, the Italian food on the first floor is great, and the market cafe serves good American coffee. If you develop that further, you'll get the differences.

At the Grand Waldo we have a special rate for tournament qualifiers of $100/night inclusive of taxes and breakfast for one person (though double occupancy is fine), because we booked a very large block of rooms.

If you wanted to stay at the Wynn, it would be about a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the GW and cost about 40 MOP (about $5 USD).

Both venues have more Baccarat tables then you've likely seen in your life. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 AM

I'm like 95% going to this. I am hitting the satellites hard this week. If nothig else I'll buy directly in to a step 6.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that Macau is more like Atlantic City than Las Vegas in terms of the safety.

I have heard a handful of stories of taxi drivers in Macau ganging up with triads/organized crime to rob and beat up tourists. I was warned to take hotel-operated shuttle buses and to travel in groups whenever possible in order to avoid the riff-raff.

--

The Wynn Macau and the Venetian Macau are "7-star" hotels by Chinese standards.

(The new Venetian Macau on the "Cotai Strip" is within walking distance of the Grand Waldo, but NOT the Wynn Macau which is on the Macau Peninsula.)

The Grand Waldo is a "5-star" property by Chinese standards, which means it is about a "3-star" property by U.S. standards (on par with Holiday Inn)

(Motel 6 would be considered a "3-star" hotel by Chinese standards.)