Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM

Default bankroll needed for bodog begginer stts

I wanna stake somebody for these but am wondering what amount of buy ins they would need to play these they payout top 5 in this % 30%/25%/20%/15%/10%
Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: bankroll needed for bodog begginer stts

I'd never stake someone if I couldn't figure this out. Unless you don't care about -EV, but then again the answer doesn't matter.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 PM

20 buy ins to much?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanna stake somebody for these but am wondering what amount of buy ins they would need to play these they payout top 5 in this % 30%/25%/20%/15%/10%

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have to have a new account to play these (like the old Party beginner tables which limited you to 6 months or something)?

If not, then has anybody actually tried playing a decent number of these to see if they are more or less profitable?

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM

They're designed to stop beginners going broke too quick, so no, they ain't profitable.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM

you dont think they are? surely you could beat these for a profit. see my girlfriend has a very small roll and cant play cash games for some reason. So i saw these and thought 50% get paid and although roi for top 3 is less there is a higher payout %

as stated above anybody played alot of these? like see of they are a money spinner.low limtis obviously(they only go up to $16)
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM

I know someone who is killing these, apparently no one uses ICM, they all try and hold out for the money.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:26 PM

My n00bish conclusion is:
The beginner stts' only cuts away 10% of the winnings, you know, ending 5th is really bad, since you won't be ending EV+ with 5th places. Rake you know =)
The difference between winning and ending second is only 20%, in difference to a 50/30/20 structure in which the difference is about 67%.

So the motivation for playing for the first place is lower then in the normal ones, and so is the award! (connection? XD) So I'd find these very boring to play I guess.

The plus part is that they are very beginner friendly and for people that are actually playing poker for the game itself except for "just winning" can do this with a very low hourly cost!

I think that these games should exist on every site for beginners to play and is a good idea by bodog.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you dont think they are? surely you could beat these for a profit. see my girlfriend has a very small roll and cant play cash games for some reason. So i saw these and thought 50% get paid and although roi for top 3 is less there is a higher payout %

as stated above anybody played alot of these? like see of they are a money spinner.low limtis obviously(they only go up to $16)

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously they can be beaten for a profit if you're better than the average opponent. But if you're any good you will make more playing standard 50/30/20 payouts.

They're beginner STTs - if she's a beginner with a small roll, they're ideal.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Why don't you just take a sample of 1000 games that you have played, use the finish positions of those 1000 and calculate what your ROI and total profit would have been with the alternate payout structure.

I would assume the games are much softer and the variance is far less, but it would be interesting to see. Not necessarily accurate because the bubble is somewhat lost and due to the payouts the strategy would be changed some, but I would still like to see how the prizes would translate in games of an equal buyin.