Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

[ QUOTE ]
btw just a note, I am positive that a decent % of the people that say that they would win the bet easily and then mock durrr for losing, would not actually be a favorite in the bet.
Sorry to be mean, I just find it silly how so many people are talking about how easily they would win the bet, without once giving their actual rating or any credentials of any sort. I'm mainly saying this to defend durrrr.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have playing strength 2100-2200 fide and I'm fully confident I can give knight-odds vs anyone who hasn't played in tourneys before. Someone who beats all his friends all the time, just can't compete with someone who plays tournaments. I've seen it a thousand times: they think they're great, they know you're good, so they wanna challenge you. After 10 moves you start feeling ashamed yourself because he played so poor that it will be too obvious if you don't mate him in the next 10 moves. (Btw mostly they don't even know the exact rules, when isn't castling allowed and en passant for example.)

Take knight-odds, that's worth 3 pawns. I easily draw a pawn down, so winning 2 pawns is enough for not losing. How can't he lose 2 pawns? He might not drop pieces, but just 2 pawns, that's easy. Mostly he'll give a few pieces or get mated of course.

Rook-odds are very different cause you're unlikely to get 4 pawns, so he has to lose a piece and then some just to equalize.

Winning blindfold vs someone who never played tournaments is just as easy btw. It's even safer as you don't have to rely on his mistakes. Just play your A-game and he won't ever get an advantage.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread makes me wish I knew how to play chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread just makes me confused. Although it is funny to see super nerds argue about chess pieces and ratings.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
T_Mac, i used to play chess and i don't think it's that much fun anymore. bughouse is a fun variation.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG bughouse is basically a mind-gasm to play .. so incredibly fun. WHAT SITE DO U PLAY IT AT?

Basically 2 v 2 chess and whatever pieces you capture you hand off to your partner and as his turn he can place a peice in a non-back row and non-occupied square
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Sponge, I bet if you gave it a chance you'd enjoy the game a LOT and would want to get better ASAP
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the money to be prop betting, but if i did I would bet on Durr if I coached him 2hrs a day for 30 days in the same match.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take curtains for 50k again without hesitation. You grossly underestimate the time it takes to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also bet on myself to be able to coach durrr to win the same bet if I had 2hrs a day for a month (PLUS some time like 5 min curtains vs 30 mins durr)
Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 PM

kingdan,

ill play you with rook odds.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sponge, I bet if you gave it a chance you'd enjoy the game a LOT and would want to get better ASAP

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played Chess a few times. It is fun, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

That being said I will play Curtains in a 72k HU match if he gives me triple queen odds and lets my 3df and 7q pawns move two spaces at a time every other move. Also, if we end in a draw, a two man sack race on consecutive Sundays will decide the winner.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Sponger
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 PM

two more things

1) I will wreck anyone here in bughouse no contest
2) GMs tend to be pretty big pussies when the money is on the line.

In a big tourney 1st might be $15,000. On top board, either player who wins would clinch first place. Instead, they usually agree to a quick draw, where they get into a massive 6-7 way tie for first for like $4,000

Sometimes the stronger player will have WHITE (will prolly score upwards of 60%).
I understand they need the money to live off and yada yada, just has bugged me for a while.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM

I played chess for a while, but it's one of those things that you really plateau quickly in unless you really put a lot of conentrated effort towards improving.

I read a few articles and downloaded some programs and watched replays of chess matches with narration, but in the end I realized the best thing was getting stoned and thinking so far ahead that you can't remember how the hell the sequence started. [censored] hilarious every time.