Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Firepay/Neteller/Stars Decision Impact

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although, I could be totally wrong, but I believe the law in Maryland specifically makes online poker illegal for the player.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've certainly never heard of such a law before. AFAIK Maryland is accepted by every online poker room that accepts any U.S. residents at all. For example, Dream Poker (Prima) recently announced it is closing accounts in seven states but Maryland is not on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

a person may not bet, wager or gamble, Maryland law, misdemeanor

There is no specific law that I see; gambling is already prohibited. That includes online poker as we know it.

The online poker rooms have accepted residents that promised online poker was legal in Maryland, whether that person was correctly stating the facts or not. If one said it was illegal, I assume they sent you packing.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the confusion here. Didn't Neteller's original public statement after the bill passed say they weren't dumping U.S. customers, but that the regulations that eventually get implemented might prevent U.S. banks from doing business with them? Other than the Barclay's rumor, has anything at all changed with respect to Neteller since then?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... but, that hasn't stopped people from being confused... and fearmongering... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the confusion here. Didn't Neteller's original public statement after the bill passed say they weren't dumping U.S. customers, but that the regulations that eventually get implemented might prevent U.S. banks from doing business with them? Other than the Barclay's rumor, has anything at all changed with respect to Neteller since then?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... but, that hasn't stopped people from being confused... and fearmongering... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But..., but..., the sky is falling, the sky is falling. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]