Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:48 AM

Default tony g vs. cardplayer

http://tonyg.pokerworks.com/
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: tony g vs. cardplayer

If he hasn't already done it, Tony should put up some fake chip counts on his site. Once they appear on Cardplayer too, he's got them.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 AM

I can't say that I like Tony G very much, but he makes a very strong argument that CardPlayer are ripping of PokerNews/Bluff.

It is a tricky legal argument as to whether sports "scores" (a category of content in which I would include chip-counts) are in the public domain once they have been published or not?

Obviously the news that player X has just won a bracelet when an event is complete is public information. But a running chip-count is a bit more of a grey area.

If someone were to publish them the following day, would that be acceptable use?

No doubt this is one for the lawyers.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't say that I like Tony G very much, but he makes a very strong argument that CardPlayer are ripping of PokerNews/Bluff.

It is a tricky legal argument as to whether sports "scores" (a category of content in which I would include chip-counts) are in the public domain once they have been published or not?

Obviously the news that player X has just won a bracelet when an event is complete is public information. But a running chip-count is a bit more of a grey area.

If someone were to publish them the following day, would that be acceptable use?

[/ QUOTE ]

MLB already tried (or is still trying?) it
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to add that this would be a great time for Tony G to tell his people to report things better also.
How people "triple up" from something like 12K to 60K on a hand is beyond me.
I realize that these reports get generated often from someone who saw half the hand- or had it retold to them and their pen ran out of ink and they had to memorize and recount the action... but c'mon.
That said- I hope if Cardplayer is blatantly doing this that they stop and or get caught redhanded.
fwiw- how about throwing in some random fake names? When Ignacio Peter Freeleigh shows up at cardplayer after having been listed thru pokernews I think we can safely assume Matt Groening had nothing to do with it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 AM

fight fight fight!

Barry Schulman v. Tony G - cage match.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but he makes a very strong argument that CardPlayer are ripping of PokerNews/Bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't CardPlayer accusing Bluff of ripping them off in a video not too long ago?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 AM

I have crossed swords with Tony G in the past, but I must say Pokernews's coverage of the series is excellent and Cardplayer is being very slimy if they are stealing the chip counts.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but he makes a very strong argument that CardPlayer are ripping of PokerNews/Bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't CardPlayer accusing Bluff of ripping them off in a video not too long ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

They did, although in that case the video proved nothing, other than that a Bluff writer was viewing CardPlayer.com
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an NVG thread on this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10664583

Check out the posts toward the end where a citation is made to a analogous situation with NBA scores. It may be bad form, but what they are doing isn't illegal.

NCAces