Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Renting an APT. In NY and Poker

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search yielded nothing. My girlfriend is finishing her last year at college next fall in NY city and I want to live their with her.

I am trying to find a decent one bedroom place in a not too bad area. How hard is it to rent a place given that she is a student and my only source of income is poker?

My parents are willing to cosign for me. They are not rich or anything but they own a house (I'm not sure what they even look at when you have a cosigner). Also, I could pay for 6 months rent upfront if they wanted (not sure if this is smart or will make me look like a drug dealer or something). I haven't turned in any applications yet but all the landlords so far have been old ladies so they may not want to rent to a gambler. I am also willing to lie and say I'm a student also and that my parents are paying for it if it greatly helps my chances.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Renting an APT. In NY and Poker

They will look at their credit. Having a house obviously helps that. I think it'd be better to say your a student.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also willing to lie and say I'm a student also and that my parents are paying for it if it greatly helps my chances.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this the way to go
Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 PM

The "little old ladies" are the people you will want to rent from. Larger management companies are usually much more strict in their requirements. A co-signer will be a huge help regardless of who you rent from, but they have to be able to show they have the ability to pay for this rent in addition to their own mortgage payment. They will probably be asked to provide bank stamenents (including possible mortgage info), tax returns and possibly other relevant financial documents.

I normally don't advocate lying, but in this case I think it's a case of "what they don't know won't hurt them" and I'd go with saying your parents will pay for it all if they can prove they are able to do so. You could also use the old standby of "I get my money from investments". It makes it a little more complicated, but in the end the landlord just wants to make sure they get their money on time.

Rather than paying rent in advance, I think you are more likely to be asked to provide a larger deposit, but this will be a case by case thing. I wouldn't worry about looking like a drug dealer if asked to make any sort of advance payment unless u drop a fat gangsta roll on the table rather than paying by check lol.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it'd be better to say your a student.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought this would be the best way. The hard part will be getting my folks to go along, they were not born in the US and never lie to authority.