Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Frustrating situations lately.

[ QUOTE ]
Is my big issue with this particular game my QQ hand, or how I played following? Any suggestions how to read the hand a little better? Any thoughts on how to maintain solid play after a seemingly bad decision?

Thanks,
Lars

[/ QUOTE ]
Your call with QQ in that spot was standard. As a matter of fact, I would have probably called there with less.

I don't know how much experience you have but after a lot of tourney play, this will happen several times again (you'll be on the dishing end your fair share as well) and you'll begin to realize it's just the way it goes. That and all the suckouts you experience will be simply something you've gone time and time again and you won't think about it anymore.

What you should be doing is thinking about how that guy looked and what he did as he went all-in. Then use that info if you hook up with him again to assess if he feels good about his hand.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 AM

Thanks PantsonFire. I pretty much assumed my call was correct(read: standard). I just know there's got to ne a way to get away from that particular hand, because in that case, it was the incorrect decision(result orietation, FTW).

I just look at a guy like Harrington, and I wonder what his thought process would have been like. I've seen someone fold KK preflop to my raise, while I held AA. I was just totally shocked. I've been working alot lately on breaking down live hands and trying to assign good hand ranges. I play much much much better online, and I'm trying to figure out why, and correct it.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM

How had you been playing before that? Do you frequently raise to 5xBB with something like JTs or AJo?

Look at everything from his perspective.

Lars raised after limpers from middle position. His bet feels like a "build the pot" / "weed out the limpers" bet. So lars obviously has a good hand. Probably premium.
And if I go all-in he'll probably call me.

And yet he still bets.
So now you know he has a hand that he thinks is better than your good hand.
And you maybe shouldn't have called...
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM

Well here's a couple possibilities:

1)You have a tell. If you have a friend in the game, ask him. If not, try to picture yourself and see if there's anything different you are doing.
Everybody has tells, some are just more obvious than others.

2)You are playing too tight - if you only 3 bet with AA/KK (a common live problem in NL cash games), you are pretty easy to peg when you do 3 bet.

3)Varience. If you push from the SB into a player who has not looked at his cards (or online), it is just crappy luck for him to have AA.