Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: is barney frank jeopardizing his own online gambling bill?

[ QUOTE ]
Good news. I was able to confirm with someone who knows someone on Frank's staff that this is story is completely false. HR 2046 is free-standing...the story is nothing but bad reporting (using that term loosely in this case).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit I was confused (wouldn't be the 1st time) by the G911 article, but after reading the thread here, I assumed what everyone else did and that these bills were being merged.

Oh well, nm. Lol.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good news. I was able to confirm with someone who knows someone on Frank's staff that this is story is completely false. HR 2046 is free-standing...the story is nothing but bad reporting (using that term loosely in this case).

[/ QUOTE ]

good work. thanks for getting to the bottom of this. sorry my link caused this ruckus. it's weird how that story is just totally bogus. next time i'll make sure there are other sources before linking to a gambling911 story. my bad.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a VERY good move to add in funding for low income housing. People who don't give a flying fishstick about poker will vote for a housing bill giving poor people a chance to put a roof over their heads. This is VERY, VERY good news folks and will make it MUCH easier to pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is truly sad is that you don't see that this is just as wrong as sticking the UIGEA into the Safe Ports bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

You go ahead and object based on "wrongness" grounds. This is politics. The whole game is "wrong," and to come out at least even, you need to be prepared to make "wrong" compromises.

In any event, this seems like an insane move if leadership has been alienated. However, if that alienation has been overstated, then this could be the move that gets it done.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I can't see him deliberately pissing off leadership, and I don't see how packaging a bill that provides for the funding of a traditional democratic pork topic could piss off the current leadership. He's been around the block a few times and besides, there's no one else to hitch our wagon to.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one confuse that? Oh well, Que sera, sera.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good work. thanks for getting to the bottom of this. sorry my link caused this ruckus. it's weird how that story is just totally bogus. next time i'll make sure there are other sources before linking to a gambling911 story. my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not your fault. We've all been sucked in by a g911 story before.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Actually I think G911 got the story from I Gaming News who reported it on July 3.

http://www.igamingbusiness.com/artic...rticleID=14030

obg
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually I think G911 got the story from I Gaming News who reported it on July 3.

http://www.igamingbusiness.com/artic...rticleID=14030

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an odd article. There is one bill that provides for a housing trust. It's a pet project of Rep. Frank. And, of course, there's a separate bill for us. It's hard to see how the article author merged the two. After all, the housing trust is clear in that it's primarily funded by the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (FHLMC) and the Federal National Mortgage Association (FNMA). It's right there in the legislation.

Anyway, it's a bogus story, so we won't have to worry about it. He's been very careful with this bill, so I'd have been surprised if he did anything boneheaded with it. Pay-go does offer us a good chance to get it through. I guess we'll see where it goes at the upcoming hearing.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 AM

Going to lock this to help avoid further confusion
Closed Thread