Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Help me totally change my eating habits... PLEASE.

I searched and I think I suck at it. +food came up with too many random threads and +healthy +food came up with too few. Feel free to yell and maybe include a link, as I know this has been discussed several times.

OK, I'm asking 2+2 to help me eat healthier. I'm not overweight. 6' 165lbs... However, I was on medication and had to stop because my cholesterol was insanely high and so was the tri-somethings (triglycerides?). That was a side-effect of the medication, but I still know my normal levels aren't the greatest since I eat a lot of fast food. I'd like to gain some weight, but I rather be healthier than put on fat.

I don't have room for a bench... but I have access to a small weight room (not free weights, only rowing machine type things). It'd be a lot easier if I didn't have to travel though, so hopefully push-ups, sit-ups, and exercises I can do with dumbbells will be enough.

As for food, this is the real hard part. I don't really like a lot of food, but I'm starting to like new things. I also have a $100 Trade Joe's gift certificate, so I will go pick out random [censored] I would never try and see what I like. I've seen the TJ thread and will pick out a few things from that list (some of those things sound awful though...).

What are some meals that are cheap and easy to cook? I have an oven/microwave/foreman grill. One thing I love are those pasta-roni things, are they even good for you though? I'm looking at things that can be made in 30 minutes or less, are healthy, fill you up, and don't contain fish and/or slug juice.

Oh, what are some drinks that taste good too? I quit soft drinks about two weeks ago, but I just looked at the jug of fake juice I'm drinking and it's not even better. I'm kind of sick of water/gatorade.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Help me totally change my eating habits... PLEASE.

Search for:

+healthy -re:

in the subject for this forum. Two threads on this active this week that are relevant.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM

YOur doctor didnt give you an eating guide?

Just go to a book store and browse around the cookbook section. There is prolly a book or two that deals with EXACTLY what you want. Dont get some stupid diet book, get an actual cook book. Ive got one thats all meals you can make in half an hour or less, I just dont make the ones in there that are obviously unhealthy (they give you the nuttritional info).

If you want healthy drink, just stick with water. I dont understand how anyone can get sick of it because I actually like water. Maybe ure just craving something sweet and onceyour body gets over its need for juice youll be ok. So yeah, just drink water (drinking gatorade isnt a substitute)
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Food: Grill chicken breasts, lean beef, etc. on your Foreman. Buy bagged salads and add some low fat dressing. Frozen veggies can be made quickly and made tasty with cheese, garlic, butter, etc. while remaining healthy.

Exercise: You definitely need to do cardio, and rowing machines are a good source. Definitely walk or bike whenever you have the chance, and possibly run or swim if possible.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Search for:

+healthy -re:

in the subject for this forum. Two threads on this active this week that are relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I knew I sucked at searching.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOur doctor didnt give you an eating guide?

Just go to a book store and browse around the cookbook section. There is prolly a book or two that deals with EXACTLY what you want. Dont get some stupid diet book, get an actual cook book. Ive got one thats all meals you can make in half an hour or less, I just dont make the ones in there that are obviously unhealthy (they give you the nuttritional info).

If you want healthy drink, just stick with water. I dont understand how anyone can get sick of it because I actually like water. Maybe ure just craving something sweet and onceyour body gets over its need for juice youll be ok. So yeah, just drink water (drinking gatorade isnt a substitute)

[/ QUOTE ]

No eating guide. Just had to get a blood test every month. I'll look for a 30min cookbook when school starts. I was hoping some people found a golden recipe or item at a grocery store that tates good and is healthy. I'm tired of eating corn dogs, chips, TV dinners, etc.

As for water, I drink A LOT. It's just sometimes when I sit down to eat, I rather have something else. I go through a number of water bottles a day... I should probably get a filter to save on $$$.

Are pasta-a-roni's healthy? I know pasta is, but for some reason I feel like making it out of a box can't be. If it is healthy, this is the type of food I'm looking for. Something that is cheap and takes like 20 minutes with no cooking knowledge required.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Food: Grill chicken breasts, lean beef, etc. on your Foreman. Buy bagged salads and add some low fat dressing. Frozen veggies can be made quickly and made tasty with cheese, garlic, butter, etc. while remaining healthy.

Exercise: You definitely need to do cardio, and rowing machines are a good source. Definitely walk or bike whenever you have the chance, and possibly run or swim if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait until summer so I can actually BBQ some fresh asparagus. Do frozen vegetables actually taste good on the foreman grill? I've never actually tried to cook anything other than burgers and hot dogs on it.

What I find really odd is that if I went and played basketball right now, I'd be winded quickly. Yet if I go to the gym and bike for 35 minutes (on a high level, sprinting for a minute every other minute... this is in case I want to start playing hockey) I won't lose a breath. WTF?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 PM

Oh, frozen veggies you just cook in a pot, just add to some boiling water, drain after a couple minutes and add anything you like... parmesan, salsa, mustard, whatever.

I could bike like 15 miles without getting winded. On the other hand I probably last like 3 miles on a treadmill. I imagine it's like that for most people.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 PM

You should pick up some kind of beginners nutrition guide. this is the first hit on amazon, I have no clue if its any good, but jesus dude, you sound like a five year old with this [censored].
Old 01-20-2007, 11:52 PM

Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine/etc. frozen dinners. They have been a godsend for me. 5 minutes in the microwave, very healthy, and the food isn't bad at all.

As for the drinks, there a lot of zero-calorie flavored waters that taste pretty good. Of course if you have to have juice, you can find some that are somewhat healthy, fresh-squeezed OJ, etc.