Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Lamentations from a life long Cleveland fan

I am nervous....very nervous.

My first memory as a Cleveland sports fan was going to Cleveland Stadium (or what is affectionately known as "The Mistake by the Lake" these days) at the age of 4 with my father (who was actually alive the last time a Cleveland franchise actually won anything) to watch the most pathetic franchise in professional sports do business. No, I'm not talking about the re-vamped Browns, I am talking about the Cleveland Indians. I remember the days when there were 4000 people in a stadium that held 80,000 at capacity. I remember the days when we really were the team that only had a prayer on open day. Ahhhhhhh, how those were the days.

You see, being a diehard Cleveland fan is like condoning yourself to a life of almost good enough, but never ever will be. Whether it is the drive, or the fumble, or Charles Nagy and Jose [censored] Mesa blowing saves.....the one thing that can be counted upon as a Cleveland fan is surefire dissapointment.

I am currently in a pretty good situation as a Cleveland fan. The Tribe is in first place, and is playing as well as anyone in baseball. The Cavs are the number 2 seed in the Eastern Conference, have an easy road to the Eastern Finals, and with any luck, could make the NBA Finals. The Browns have a solid shot at picking up Adrian Peterson, a player who could significantly change the landscape of the new worst franchise in sports (except people actually show up to go to these games.) The future looks optimistic for certain. Except.....

I am a cleveland fan. And I know that the Indians fall just short this year, and Travis and CC will be gone in two years. And I know that the Cavs will make it to the Finals only to be swept by Detroit, and the King will sign with the New Brooklyn Franchise in a few years prior to winning one for his own misery stricken home town. And I know that the Browns will draft Brady Quinn......Ugh!

You see; If I would have grown up in any other city in the world and been in the same predicament, I would be absolutely ecstatic. But I grew up in Cleveland.....

....and I am nervous.

Being a salesman, I am as positive minded an individual as you will likely ever meet. I am the type of person that finds the good in everything....except Cleveland sports. I figured a few people would enjoy this, so pardon my venting.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Lamentations from a life long Cleveland fan

My elementary school principal wrote this in our 1990 yearbook:

[ QUOTE ]
Then: 1954- My dad and I are anxiously awaiting the fifth game of the World Series. The Cleveland Indians had just won the American League Pennant. My father got tickets for the two of us to go see the Indians play the New York Giants with Willie Mays in the fifth game of the World Series. The Indians lost the series - four games to none.

Now: Patiently - my dad and I are still waiting...
P.S. We'll Settle for a Super Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Accompanying it are 2 pictures, one of him him in a full Indians uniform as a little leaguer in the 1950s. The other, a picture of him in his 50s and his dad in his 70s or 80s, sitting in the front row of Cleveland Stadium. Not a single other fan is visible in any of the seats behind them.

Reading it now, I can't help but wonder if they made it to a game of the 1997 World Series, or if his dad was even alive to see it.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Johnny,

As a Philly fan, I feel your pain. But don't go too far. The Browns are definitely not the most pathetic franchise in sports, they're not even the most pathetic franchise in the NFL. And drafting Quinn wouldn't be a bad idea. You build around a QB and OL, not a RB.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 AM

You should be thrilled if they draft Quinn instead of Peterson.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Philly fan, I feel your pain. But don't go too far.

[/ QUOTE ] rotfl. Too bad he can't begin to fathom ours. The Phillies are the losingest team in professional sports history. The Indians actually have an all-time WINNING record. I despise you.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 AM

Peterson will at least likely be cheap after his obligatory career ending injury. Quinn will sit on the roster getting millions of dollars and preventing any real attempts to acquire a QB of the future. Peterson is a bad pick, Quinn is a franchise killing pick.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a Philly fan, I feel your pain. But don't go too far.

[/ QUOTE ] rotfl. Too bad he can't begin to fathom ours. The Phillies are the losingest team in professional sports history. The Indians actually have an all-time WINNING record. I despise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes close to Cleveland's ridiculous sports history when you combine all the teams in the city. The Eagles make the Browns look like a 1-AA team when you compare histories.

Sincerely,
Someone who lived in Cleveland for 22 years and is still an Indians fan
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Eagles make the Browns look like a 1-AA team when you compare histories.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Browns are 31-14-1 all-time against the Eagles. You have 4 NFL championships to the Eagles 3 (and you weren't in the league for as long either). I despise you even more. :0)
Old 04-26-2007, 01:44 AM

I would have figured people would be more bitter about losing to the Marlins in the '97 World Series. They were just a game away, too.

Mind you... that is probably one of my most exciting finishing series' to any sport to watch (with the exception of '01 Yanks-D-Backs).
Old 04-26-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have figured people would be more bitter about losing to the Marlins in the '97 World Series. They were just a half inning away, too.

Mind you... that is probably one of my most exciting finishing series' to any sport to watch (with the exception of '01 Yanks-D-Backs).

[/ QUOTE ]
That series was when I finally realized I couldn't stay mad at baseball anymore.