Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Party 100NL A9s flops trips

Villain is 27/9 after 30 hands. He seems very calling stationish, called down with 67o against pf raiser on a 557 board even after turn and river came J9. Is my check terrible in the bb? Looking back I probably should have raised it but was multitabling and I tend to get a little more passive with weaker holdings. How is my river check? I thought about bet/folding, but I am pretty uncomfortable with that because I will tend to make bad calls then.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $100
UTG+1: $100
UTG+2: $101.84
MP1: $157.70
MP2: $111.47
MP3: $205.93
CO: $47.74
Button: $93.35
SB: $99
Hero: $100

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, 3 folds, CO (poster) checks, 2 folds, 2 folds, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($4.5, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $7</font>, UTG calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($24.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $30.33</font>.
Hero folds?

Results:
Final pot: $24.5

This river overbet is almost always a hit draw right? Bump up the flop and turn bets as well? I usually will bet right under pot size, like 4 flop and then 11 or 12 turn but didn't here.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Party 100NL A9s flops trips

I probably play it the same way. I like the check on the river as you will often get someone to try to represent and you can pick them off. Unless he is really passive I call.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:30 PM

This situition calls for a blocking bet IMO, I don't like a c/c here at all, particulary because you have included in your read that your opponent is quite the calling station. You are missing out on value by not betting this river.

Why are you having problems with bad calls on the river? If a loose passive calling station raises your blocking bet on this river it should be an easy fold. That's the intent of a blocking bet.

Also I think you should be potting the flop/turn.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:43 PM

Ya if he is a calling station it is better to make a blocking bet and fold to a big raise. However, if he was an aggresive maniac I would make a check/call.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:38 PM

bet $12 on the river, fold to a raise.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:00 AM

I am not positive he is a calling station, I really only have the one 67o hand to go on, but it was a pretty terrible hand in my opinion. In the hand, I felt it was possible he had a 9, but I think he would have raised the turn with it. It is also possible he was playing very passively with something like JQ, JK, or AJ, but I thought a flush draw was also a large part of his range. I probably should have bet/folded river, but I checked. When he overbet the pot I thought for awhile and folded? Often I find myself betting a hand in position and then when a flush hits I am often overbet into from someone calling down OOP and I have found that this is usually a flush