Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Default AP poll now open for 1-AA

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: AP poll now open for 1-AA

This is dumb.

I have no problem with "Football Championship Subdivision" teams being eligible for the polls, but I do find it lame that just because one team pulls an upset, people are now clamoring to get them in the rankings. It's not like they have any chance to stay ranked and it's not like any other "Football Championship Subdivision" team will crack the polls.

The 1-A teams (the new names of the divisions are too long, so I'm going back to the old terms) should petition to be included in the 1-AA polls.

Again, I don't have a problem with every team being eligible for the rankings, but I just don't like how reactionary this decision was, simply because of one big upset.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 AM

Nothing wrong with them being eligible... as long as none of them (gee, who might I be talking to here?) actually gets votes. Maybe once or twice in any given decade, one team might emerge as such a "FCS" powerhouse that they warrant being ranked in the 50-60 range... though I doubt it. Top 25 though? That's just a joke.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM

BobJoeJim is has the right range going on. Last year App. State was # 53 in the Sagarin Ratings (whatever those are worth) ahead of half the 1-A teams.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BobJoeJim is has the right range going on. Last year App. State was # 53 in the Sagarin Ratings (whatever those are worth) ahead of half the 1-A teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

How accurate do you think that each I-AA team plays at most 1 I-A team? If they beat someone really crappy, it means little. If they lose to someone really good, it means nothing. If they beat a mediocre team, it could mean something, but is far from conclusive.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Sagarin actually overrates 1-AA teams a little relative to 1-A teams. The difference between the divisions is a little larger than his rankings would indicate. Keep in mind I said *maybe once or twice in any given decade*. Most of the time no 1-AA team should be ranked higher than 80th... or even 100th.