Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 02:01 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We are reportedly in talks with Mike Lowell to play 1st base???

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

just a rumor right now. i don't think it will happen. third base is a more scarce position than first, he fetches more there. plus he'll probably be slightly above average compared to 1B on the trading block or FA over the next 2-3 years.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, I think the major problem I have is that the Yankees seem to be outbidding themselves. have there even been rumors of any other team willing to go as high as 7 years /$210m?

[/ QUOTE ]

say the contract is $270M for 10 years. imagine if ARod said that he will accept $180M for 10 years (33% discount), or simply $135 for 5 years. I think ARod could have 5 teams tomorrow shoving pens into his hands for those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

? but none of those are as high as 7 / $210m

[/ QUOTE ]

obv, 7/$210 is between the current offer (1 team) and the ones i proposed (say 5 teams). there probably would be interest.

the thing is, noone was allowed to talk money with FA's until yesterday, and yesterday ARod was talking with the Yankees. I don't think teams were able to approach ARod with anything like that.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DC--can't they set up the yearly payment so they pay more now and are on the hook for less in his later years...or is that dumb because the $$ may be worth less 8 years from now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Second part is correct. For many reasons, teams want to make the contracts heavier at the far end. In fact, A-Rod's previous contract included quite a bit of deferred compenstion in those big numbers -- money Texas will pay him several years from now (I think he is getting paid interest on it, but it is below market - 1 to 3%).

Other than that, there is always the time-value of money. $30 million in 2015 is certainly worth quite a bit less than that now.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM

rivera is demanding a 4th year similar to the contract of posada's

that's a bit greedy especially seeing as posada is nearly 2 years younger than rivera
Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 PM

4 yrs, $45M.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM

I would just like to point out how the opinions of anti-yankee fans have gone from one extreme to the other in a matter of weeks.

10+ days ago when A-Rod had "no shot" of coming back to the yankees:

"OMG YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO SUCK YOU HAVE TO RESIGN HIM HE IS THE BEST PlAYER EVER OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!"

Now:

"OMG YOU GUYS ARE PAYING TOO MUCH. YOU CAN GET OTHER PLAYERS FOR LESS MONEY WHO WILL PROVIDE MORE VALUE!"

No matter what the situation is, people that despise the yankees will find arguments.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Honestly, what do you yankee haters believe if the other option for the Yankees if they want to sign the best hitter in the league.

Steinbrenner: "OK Alex, we will give you a 10 year contract. 28 million for the first 5 years, then because we know you will start to suck, we will only decrease it a few million each year after that."

A-Rod: "Sounds great, guys! See you in March."

Stop trying to pick out something wrong in every possible situation that involves the Yankees.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 PM

wohoo, A-Rod signing to 10 year deal, thats sweet..maybe $275 million is a bit much, but probably worth it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM

apparently the yanks have offered lowell 4 years

from rotoworld:
CBS4 Boston's Dan Roche is reporting that the Yankees have offered Mike Lowell a four-year deal worth $56 million-$60 million.
Roche has supposedly confirmed this. It was a different Boston station that last night reported the Braves, Cards, Angels and Yankees had all offered deal worth $55 million-$60 million. That news seemed bogus at the time and still appears this way. However, it is possible that the Yankees are in that territory. If they're going to go that far to land Lowell, Mariano Rivera has a better case for receiving a four-year deal. The Red Sox are still offering Lowell three years. The Phillies continue to deny reports that they're going to be involved, so this may prove to be a two-team race. Nov. 15 - 5:56 pm et
Source: CBS4 Boston
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM

looks like it's on the verge of completing, 10 years-$275M with incentives. I'm pleased he'll be back.