Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Californians fires

[ QUOTE ]
How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute take all the costs of clearing up after a hurricane and then pretend it all went on lil' old Orleans.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute take all the costs of clearing up after a hurricane and then pretend it all went on lil' old Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying the vast majority of the money was spent on other places in the Gulf region and the Federal government hasn't spent enough on New Orleans. Also your implication is that other areas of the Gulf region hit by Katrina have recovered substantially while New Orleans hasn't. Some articles that would contradict those views:

Billions have been spent to rebuild the city, but not enough is reaching the local economy. Residents wonder where the funds are being spent.

Two Years Lster, Washington Money not Getting to Those in Need

Katrina Money Remains Unspent

Perhaps we just need to have a debate on what level of spending is appropriate and are the costs justified. I note that in one of these article that the claim was made that FEMA was low balling estimates of the costs of rebuilding. Why should we be willing to believe the locals and give them a blank check?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should we be willing to believe the locals and give them a blank check?

[/ QUOTE ]

You think it is impossible to reset things back to the way they were? Is that the administration fault, or the displaced residents' one. It seems to me like a very incompetent administration whatever it tries its hands on! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you're saying the vast majority of the money was spent on other places in the Gulf region and the Federal government hasn't spent enough on New Orleans. Also your implication is that other areas of the Gulf region hit by Katrina have recovered substantially while New Orleans hasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm saying that the comparison immediately appears biased and if I saw that paragraph then my BSometer would be ringing loudly. I have no idea what the money was spent on and frankly I don't care, it's your taxes not mine. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fact: The US Constitution does not authorize the federal govt to seize assets to relieve individual suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how Congress providing tax relief to Californians is not covered by this clause of the Constitution.

Also, please explain how disaster management expenditures (such as FEMA grants, etc.) are not covered under this clause, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the guy who wrote it said it doesn't?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I watch the news, here, in Australia, my thought go to all those people that have lost their houses and possessions (and some indeed their lives or loved ones lives) in California those past days.

I was disturbed by also being forced to watch President Bush promise (another promisee, another lie) those Californians that they will not be forgotten in Washington and that help was forthcoming.

Assuming that President Bush was not lying, a big ask, I understand, what would make those Californians different from the many from New Orleans that are still waiting, regardless of even the international support and donations that that catastrophe generated?

[/ QUOTE ]

the only reason for a post like this is to inflame. why does this guy get a pass, continually?? what a joke. what vested interest does he have in any conversation regarding an American tradgedy? uh. yeah. none.

so eeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy to sit a world away and hurl inflammatory, ridiculous statements at those incompetent, corrupt Americans.

i mean how old does this get?? mission accomplished in my case, i guess. you have managed to raise my blood pressure a bit. which is your only point in every post that you bless upon this forum.

well done.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 AM

and here i thought cali was burning from the hand of God.

the most unfortunate part of this whole thing is many will once again migrate into our area and commence their attempts at turning our Red State into a Blue. they did after the earthquakes back around '89 and they'll come again. we hate'em.

it'll be Brokeback Mountain all over again... dudes holding hands and swapping spit on the street corners, liberal professors and abortion lovers and yet more coffee shops.

EN
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the most unfortunate part of this whole thing is many will once again migrate into our area and commence their attempts at turning our Red State into a Blue. they did after the earthquakes back around '89 and they'll come again. we hate'em.

it'll be Brokeback Mountain all over again... dudes holding hands and swapping spit on the street corners, liberal professors and abortion lovers and yet more coffee shops.

EN

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, dont go too far. We need a Diedrich's in our neighborhood.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 AM

I don't think EN will last long here without being banned.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the guy who wrote it said it doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of those who wrote it certainly did; many others disagreed. The plain text, however, is pretty clear cut; Congress a)can regulate taxes for b)general welfare. As I said, it's been ignored in favor of the commerce clause for nutty historical reasons, but the text is very very clear on this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares about the dead people and thousands of burned houses; the most unfortunate part of this whole thing is that you get to see two guys holding hands. What a disaster this must be for you [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]