Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Greatest People of All Time

Thomas Edison. He didn't come to mind first but I don't think anyone has mentioned him so far
Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, because i am not mature enough for SMP,

in before "jesus"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to stipulate Jesus just because I am too tired for the discussion that follows whenever Jesus is mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love an atheist with a sense of humor. NH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what I meant was I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about the historicity of Jesus. We've done that before, and it seemed like a major hijack. If we don't grant his historicity he cant be part of the list. Santa Claus doesnt make it even though he is wildly influential. In reality I think it is totally unfair to include Jesus in this list because there is absolutely no reason to think that the Jesus on the Roman ledger is the same as the Jesus in the Bible, but whatever.

EDIT: Ugh Milo already claimed Santa Claus. Ok then I say the bogeyman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took your post as just busting stones and took it as tongue in cheek. I wasn’t being sarcastic.

So, you think His quotes (all, some or none) in the Bible are not legitimate quotes, regardless of their interpretations? Don’t want to hi-jack. A simple yes or no will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is almost impossible that any of the quotes in the Bible are word-for-word accurate. I guess a few, just by chance. And all of that is even assuming there ever was a person who uttered any of those words. For which there is, of course, no evidence. All of the corroborating evidence supports the idea that some guy named Jesus may have lived around that time. None of that is in any way supportive of the fact that he said any of those words or performed any of those acts. There very likely WAS someone named Hercule Poirot at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you’re right. Jimi Hendrix won’t have existed 2000 years from now either.

I wasn’t going to hi-jack, then I though, with no offense intended to DaisyDog, this really isn’t a thread for SMP. More of an ELD type of thread. And the point of the post was to generate discussion anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument would hold more water if it weren't for Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Augustus, Tiberius, most of the Egyptian kings and pharaohs, Hammurabi, and so on.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the only female i saw was borodog's wife. pardon me if i missed any others. sexist heathens!

mother theresa... and i'm not even catholic. but 40 years of humanitarian work deserves some mention as being a great person...

another observation:

all you smart guys list these great scientists and thinkers and no one says a word.

one guy says jesus and out come the attack dogs. boy, you guys are tough... many of you may be smart (according to yourselves) but you sure don't have any tolerance or class...

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically said I'd stipulate Jesus just to avoid the debate and let the thread continue. And then in comes Splendour. Please to be assigning the blame correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did i speak to you directly?

there is no reason for me to do that.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

in before "jesus"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to stipulate Jesus just because I am too tired for the discussion that follows whenever Jesus is mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what I meant was I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about the historicity of Jesus. We've done that before, and it seemed like a major hijack. If we don't grant his historicity he cant be part of the list. Santa Claus doesnt make it even though he is wildly influential. In reality I think it is totally unfair to include Jesus in this list because there is absolutely no reason to think that the Jesus on the Roman ledger is the same as the Jesus in the Bible, but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took your post as just busting stones and took it as tongue in cheek. I wasn’t being sarcastic.

So, you think His quotes (all, some or none) in the Bible are not legitimate quotes, regardless of their interpretations? Don’t want to hi-jack. A simple yes or no will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is almost impossible that any of the quotes in the Bible are word-for-word accurate. I guess a few, just by chance. And all of that is even assuming there ever was a person who uttered any of those words. For which there is, of course, no evidence. All of the corroborating evidence supports the idea that some guy named Jesus may have lived around that time. None of that is in any way supportive of the fact that he said any of those words or performed any of those acts. There very likely WAS someone named Hercule Poirot at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you’re right. Jimi Hendrix won’t have existed 2000 years from now either.

I wasn’t going to hi-jack, then I though, with no offense intended to DaisyDog, this really isn’t a thread for SMP. More of an ELD type of thread. And the point of the post was to generate discussion anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument would hold more water if it weren't for Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Augustus, Tiberius, most of the Egyptian kings and pharaohs, Hammurabi, and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol ironyaments
Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the only female i saw was borodog's wife. pardon me if i missed any others. sexist heathens!

mother theresa... and i'm not even catholic. but 40 years of humanitarian work deserves some mention as being a great person...

another observation:

all you smart guys list these great scientists and thinkers and no one says a word.

one guy says jesus and out come the attack dogs. boy, you guys are tough... many of you may be smart (according to yourselves) but you sure don't have any tolerance or class...

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically said I'd stipulate Jesus just to avoid the debate and let the thread continue. And then in comes Splendour. Please to be assigning the blame correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did i speak to you directly?

there is no reason for me to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So who are the attack dogs? And who is the "one guy" who mentioned Jesus? I'd guess at least 5 posters mentioned Jesus. I was the second (I think) and since you said "one guy mentions Jesus and THEN out come the attack dogs" and I was the next guy to post about it, it seems a reasonable inference to think you were talking about me. Otherwise you'd have said "two or more guys mention Jesus and THEN out come the attack dogs" right?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

in before "jesus"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol ironyaments

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain? Or are you just talking about the inevitable thread hijacking? Yeah, not much I could really hope for there. I will note that it wasn't really the atheists fault this time, Splendour is the culprit. Ah well.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to put forth Michael Jordan.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not a "people". No human could move like that.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:42 AM

Bringing up the rear:

Eratosthenes

HL Mencken

Mark Twain

Yogi Berra
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

in before "jesus"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The contemporaneous importance of Jesus was no where near the degree of your examples. What noted author of the day would write much about a guy in Galilee with a handful of followers? I would think the historians would be more interested in Kings and scholars; let alone folk like Plato who published their own work.

My point is that Jesus had some impact during his short life. But, really, his following at the time was relatively minor.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What noted author of the day would write much about a guy in Galilee with a handful of followers?

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy who performs miracles everywhere he goes, produces mass quantities of food when it's scarce, and cures all manner of illnesses and nobody (noted or otherwise) writes word one about him? That strains credibility.

Now, if Jesus were just a scam artist then you're right, there would be no reason for anyone to write about him. But that still doesn't mean he existed.