Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Greatest People of All Time

[ QUOTE ]
Huh, I'm surprised no one has mentioned my favorite philosopher (and the best philosopher of all time, IMO) Bertrand Russel. He definitely makes the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chezlaw must have been at his local pub having a pint. You beat him to it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

My List (in no particular order)

Ghengis Khan
Nietzsche
Poincaré
Turing
Aristotle
Newton
Wittgenstein
Darwin
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, because i am not mature enough for SMP,

in before "jesus"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to stipulate Jesus just because I am too tired for the discussion that follows whenever Jesus is mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love an atheist with a sense of humor. NH.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

mother theresa... and i'm not even catholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

..... or know much about mother theresa.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

see there you go. nice job, and very predictable for those i spoke about prior... you must be one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the OP you are allowed to name your own metric. Lay out a rational general metric you used to come up with ..
Mother Theresa is "the GREATEST person of ALL time."
and I'll rethink my comment.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't op's question. the thread's title is "Greatest People of All Time" as in many, not "The Greatest Person of All Time" , as in one.

i think her actions could put her in a list of people. i didn't say she was the all time greatest. regardless of her doubts of faith and such, i place extreme value on someone who gives their life in helping others.

i believe that is within OP's parameters. and believe me, i am not a religious person, if that adds any context.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

see there you go. nice job, and very predictable for those i spoke about prior... you must be one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the OP you are allowed to name your own metric. Lay out a rational general metric you used to come up with ..

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't op's question. the thread's title is "Greatest People of All Time" as in many, not "The Greatest Person of All Time" , as in one.

i think her actions could put her in a list of people. i didn't say she was the all time greatest. regardless of her doubts of faith and such, i place extreme value on someone who gives their life in helping others.

i believe that is within OP's parameters. and believe me, i am not a religious person, if that adds any context.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your metric? she's a top person in a list of "those people that spent their life helping others".
you seriously can't think of others who make her look like a dabbler in that area?
Ok, it's your list, but that doesn't make me want to rescind my questioning of your knowledge of her actions or her being worthy of inclusion on such a list. ( that's why this is a debating forum).

your post sounded like you were looking for a female for some reason. you'd have the same problem if we looked for "greatest explorers" or "greatest classical composers" or " greatest mathematicians".

luckyme
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your metric? she's a top person in a list of "those people that spent their life helping others".
you seriously can't think of others who make her look like a dabbler in that area?
Ok, it's your list, but that doesn't make me want to rescind my questioning of your knowledge of her actions or her being worthy of inclusion on such a list. ( that's why this is a debating forum).

your post sounded like you were looking for a female for some reason. you'd have the same problem if we looked for "greatest explorers" or "greatest classical composers" or " greatest mathematicians".

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. that is my metric. there are worse.

and i probably was looking for a woman, since it was something that stood out to me as i was reading the post...

[ QUOTE ]
you'd have the same problem if we looked for "greatest explorers" or "greatest classical composers" or " greatest mathematicians".

[/ QUOTE ]

don't disagree here.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one guy says jesus and out come the attack dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

People just want to be clear if you mean Jesus a Jew who might have lived 2000 years ago, or Jesus the myth that rises from the dead, ascends into clouds, and walks on water. If you mean the latter Jesus, then I change my answer to Santa Claus. His mythical figure is as equally compelling.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus (who's obviously in a class all by himself) is the number one person of all time!

[/ QUOTE ]

That may not be so obvious to a lot of other people

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. Either he's the greatest man of all time, or he's the greatest scam artist of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the greatest fool of all time right? Yawn. This is such a lame argument.

And of course all of this hinges on whether we are talking about a real person or not.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus (who's obviously in a class all by himself) is the number one person of all time!

[/ QUOTE ]

That may not be so obvious to a lot of other people

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. Either he's the greatest man of all time, or he's the greatest scam artist of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly a scam with a line of prophets spanning 1500 years promising he'd come and saying what he'd do before he got here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats what "greatest scam of all time" implies.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always seen God as a loving indulgent overly patient Father so I don't go around fearing him, but I do respect him. Maybe somebody does fear him since individuals vary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Countdown until you start your "If all you atheists dont believe in God why arent you raping and killing each other" or "I think I would kill myself out of despair if I wasn't a Christian" threads?