Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

BTW, I think it's a lock Rivera and Posada will be back, thank god. And I'd be stunned if they sign a center fielder. Melky earned the job.

I also think A-Rod will be back. The fans seemed to accept him much more this year. Like I posted somewhere else, he didn't get booed in the playoffs. He got "M-V-P" chants. Every single thing he's said this year has indicated he wants to stay.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every single thing he's said this year has indicated he wants to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to him repeatedly saying throughout this year that he wants out? That would have made his life much easier.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 PM

The only other way I can see the outfield going is:

don't pick up abreu's option... sign hunter, move melky to right
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM

moving cabrera to right is a horrible idea
Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

it's not my idea, i'm just saying i could see it happening
Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every single thing he's said this year has indicated he wants to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to him repeatedly saying throughout this year that he wants out? That would have made his life much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people around here always act like this? Do you really think there's nothing in between what you said and what I said and there are no other possibilities, or did you just want to make a pointless smartass, sarcastic comment?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM

I also think that rivera posada and arod will be back. The arod thing could go either way of course, but this year was totally different than his first 3, and if arod is smart and wants to win a ring new york is definitely his best chance with the direction the team is going right now. NY of course has all the money in the world, and I'd be suprised to see him switch teams again. If he is smart he will realize that he will get the same unrealistic and absurd expectations everywhere (his clubhouse cancer rep was around WAY before he came to new york, the only thing that will change that is winning). I think the whole business with the FO saying they would resign him if he opted out was just a bluff, they at least had to try to get a deal where texas would pay a lot of the money. Obviously Boras would never, ever fall for that and just said LOL.

They will definitely end up overpaying for posada, but I am not even that bothered about it. Of course he going to decline, possibly by a huge amount, but given how long he has played for the yankees, how much everyone loves him, is it really worth taking the risk and having to find another catcher to replace him to save a couple mil a year? I just love jorge too much to be annoyed about this I guess.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 PM

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I apologize if I came across that way.

I would really like to know what other options he has when making comments about his future. The focus is on him all the time. Imagine the commotion it would create if he even hinted at wanting to leave? His season, and the Yankees season, would probably be over.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to be a smartass. I apologize if I came across that way.

I would really like to know what other options he has when making comments about his future. The focus is on him all the time. Imagine the commotion it would create if he even hinted at wanting to leave? His season, and the Yankees season, would probably be over.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have said the same thing everyone else always does: "I'm not going to talk about my contract until the season is over."

Instead he said things like (I spent 1 minutes googling this):

"You're asking me what my sincere feeling is. I want to 100 percent stay in New York. Period. That's it. I don't know how many ways I can say it."

"I want to be here. I want to stay here."

"I want to be in New York. This is the place I want to finish my career. That's it. We had options and we all know that, but I want to be in New York. That's it."

"I want to stay in New York, no matter what."

"I kept saying it this winter. I love New York. It's the greatest place for me to play."

"My wife loves New York. Our daughter [Natasha] is in music classes and [Cynthia] loves Central Park. She wants to be there for a long time."

That sounds like a lot more than just trying to say the right thing. Either he's a flat out liar, or he really wants to stay. If the Yankees want him to stay, they can pay him the most money and he wants to stay, I don't see how he's going to leave.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 PM

So what about the bullpen?

Hopefully they find someone to take Farnsworth. Maybe the Igawa for Meredith rumor can be revived? Francisco Cordero is a free agent. In a perfect world they could convince him to set up Mariano, but that seems like a real long shot. Vizcaino is also a free agent. I'd like to see him back, but with the way his arm was treated his year should we expect a decline?

If they can add a top notch setup guy and a reliable middle guy to this, I'd be happy:

Rivera
Edwar
Britton
Ohlendorf

There are also some options in the minors that could be ready later in the season like David Robertson, Scott Patterson. Sanchez and Cox could be ready by the end of the year. And I think Horne could be a really good reliever if they convert him. He's obviously blocked as a starter, so I hope they give it a shot.

Edit: Scott Linebrink is also a free agent.