Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book?

Hey,

I would love to see loads of stuff about heads-up pots. More specifically :
-playing from blinds (against mp raiser, against a steal ; preflop and on typical flops).
-playing medium strength hands OOP
-cont betting
-floating
-inducing bluffs on turn and river
-delayed bluffing
-value betting marginal hands
-bluff raising on flop/turn
-adjusting to common types of opponents (calling stations, nits etc)

I would really love to see you talking about heads up pots much more than abotu multiway pots because this topic is really what no-limit is about in my humble opinion.

Best wishes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like it either. I don't like the iidea of seeing the book spend any time on software or other issues that aren't poker related. Those pages could tell me what to do on thje flopped trips hand instead. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the F is PT/PAHUD not poker related?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea that I think would be worth exploring, but I'm not sure whether or not it would work:

Once you get past the very basics, you find that there are a bunch of common situations that are just hard to handle, and all you can say in general is "it depends."

Example: You have AK, raise PF, get one call. You bet 3/4 pot on a K-high flop in position, and get check-raised. What's your plan?

Obviously this is too general a question as it's very situation dependent, and if you really understood it you'd be very good at poker.

So I think it would be useful to have say 10 example hands which all begin with the situation described above. Some of them could have dry flops, other drawy ones, and be against various different types of opponents. Then good lines could be suggested for each possible case. I think a study of this sort of thing could be really useful -- it would show readers what types of things these decisions depend on, in a practical context.

You could do that for a few common tough situations (TPTK in position against flop c/r, overpair out of position, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a brilliant idea, Yad. Just to add to your suggestion, include the math involved to help the readers make a decision based on the type of opponent they are playing against and what they believe the opponent has (i.e. "you know your opponent will only check raise when they are holding xx-yy")

We should start something like that here.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
coltrane,

What games do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've pretty much run the gamut on stakes and types of NL games.....several years ago when I was learning poker, I started by playing NL (I never played Limit) online - from $25 PP to $200 PP - and then I really learned the ropes by playing in a $.50/$1 NL uncapped home game......it was a great experience to have a regular game to experiment with different things in.....the players were service industry types with cash to throw around and they LOVED to gamble.....stacks would get deep (sometimes more than 500bb's) and I was really lucky to be able to learn in a game with stacks that deep for small stakes.....

for the past two years I've made my living playing NL Hold'em.....prior to Hurricane Katrina, my regular game was an uncapped 5/5 NL game at Harrah's New Orleans.....after the storm, I lived in Vegas for 5 months and played regularly in the Wynn uncapped 5/10 and 2/5 games and in the Bellagio 10/20 and Commerce 10/20 games.....after moving back to New Orleans (and prior to starting on the book), I was playing mostly 10/25 live shorthanded and full-ring games......

in the past 9 months I've also really gotten into online NL.....I've often used online NL as a way of experimentation with different ideas and strategies.....I think it's fun in a different kind of way.....since the start of writing the book, I've been playing in many various games (some for fun, some for research) online from 1/2NL to 10/20NL - full ring, a lot of 6-max, and shorthanded all the way down to heads-up......I also have a couple students that I've been coaching and using as guinea pigs for research, and they play in online and live games from $.10/.25 to $1/2 and I monitor them......

I also like blondes, long walks on the beach, ..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Thinking about this a bit more and after finishing NLHEFP I think more details on how to deal with a medium stack would help. Virtually everything you read is for big stacks or small stacks; in position or the blinds. Heads up or first into the pot. They are always idealistic situations and at low limits not really what I come up against day in, day out. How do I deal with AQs when I raise from MP and get called by the button, blinds and the EP limper and miss the pot? How to play small pairs in MP? What do I do when I raise QQ in LP and get called by 3 people and the flop comes 3 suited but I make a set and the MP limper makes a pot sized bet?

SSHE made such an impact by showing you how to play marginal situations in low limit games and making you a winner by pushing those edges you'd never thought about. I'd love for this to do the same and make people think about exploiting position, implied odds and +EV situations.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:14 PM

Also, can we all get advanced copies to review and also help with proof reading (Something at times lacking in 2+2 books) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 PM

1) Lots of 6 max stuff.

2) I would love some Heads up stuff.

3) What adjustment to make when you go up and down in stakes

4) Decent hands facing resistance vs different opponent types.

5) Cbetting. Consepts regarding HU cbetting:
When to cbet, what kind of flops, what kind of opponents etc
When to float, how to react to frequent floaters.

6)Hand examples, possibly several handexamples with the same opponent: "I make this play now-because i saw my opponent play his hand this way earlier.."
Old 06-26-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tricky to do because ranges are so variable. We might come up with a few shortcuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it was easy I wouldn't need to buy your book, would I?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW that 2/5 at Bellagio might not be a complicated game, but it's far from 'bad...' one of the juiciest I've ever seen. Although it's 500 max now anyway.

NT
Old 06-26-2006, 08:58 PM

1. Online 6-MAX
2. A companion book with just problems/examples
Old 06-26-2006, 09:09 PM

My favorite books related to poker that I've read are the Harrington books. I think this is because he goes through how he thinks about hands in multiple examples. His books really got me thinking about hands the right way and helped me more than any other books. I would like to see examples (and lots of them, like the harringoton books) in which you go over the examples of cash game hands that are difficult. Particularly (sorry about the spelling) out of position hands.