Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Chicago Bears 2007 Official Thread

The Bears were hugely blessed by variance last season. I think it's +EV to bet against them almost every game this year.

(that's not to say they're not a decent team, but they're far far worse than people think)
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bears were hugely blessed by variance last season. I think it's +EV to bet against them almost every game this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Not a chance.

I'm excited for the season. Supposedly they have been working with Rex stepping up when he throws instead of falling onto his back every time. If he can do that he could have a great year.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 AM

LIB,

I agree with cbloom that it is likely the Bears finish with a neg record ATS.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And I am dead serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] redbean
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahhhh it's nice talking NFC with ya'll again.

Sluss,

[ QUOTE ]
they are still in the NFC where they are head and shoulders above every other team.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Eagles and Saints say hello. The Bears are best, but not head and shoulders above those two.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Saints are not in the class of the Eagles and Bears. Their defense is suspect and their special teams are average. The Bears sit above the Eagles in special teams and defense. The Eagles offense is better, but really only because of their running back and quarterback. The wide receivers and lines are about the same.

We will see Oct 21. I'll be there. There is a 60-40 chance I get my ass kicked.

Also the Bears lost one game to an NFC team last year. The last game of the regular season, during the Rex party planning half.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bears were hugely blessed by variance last season. ??????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this that stupid they recover alot of fumbles and get turnovers that's all variance crap? Yes, the Bears have led the league in forcing turnovers the last two years. And there is a good chance they will this year as well. It's what they are coached. Strip at the ball, jump routes, pressure the QB into mistakes, group tackle and run to the ball even when you can't make the tackle just in case there is a fumble. I'm always getting ticked and cursing variance when they force three or four fumbles in the game and only recover one and every time they outnumber the offensive team around the ball.

The Bears had good variance last year? Losing their two best non-linebacker run defenders? Having to play the Superbowl down the best D-tackle in the league? Having Peyton Manning make one mistake the whole game, when he made dozens against the Patriots and Ravens just a few weeks earlier?

If Rex Grossman was a god in every game last year and the Bears had no injuries, I could stand by the variance argument. The Bears did not have a magical everything goes right season last year (Hello Saints, anybody?)they were just a upper pack AFC team playing in the NFC.

If you're talking about they won't be able to go out every game throw two bombs go up two TDs and then just roll people by 20, okay. I don't really expect a perfect season either.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Oh, and I am going to the Bears-Pack game at Lambeau [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Let's hope I don't get in too many fights with those [censored] cheeseheads!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I am going to the Bears-Pack game at Lambeau [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Let's hope I don't get in too many fights with those [censored] cheeseheads!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there as well...after heading to Detroit the previous week for that game.

Some keys:

1) Rex needs to be better (I expect he should)
2) The defense will be better, with Harris & Brown back and added depth at DL with Walker & Adams
3) Coaching staff & gameplanning needs to be better

Point 3 was a direct result of watching SB in person (soaked, I was unprepared for the rain even after watching weather). Indy was on top of Bears tendencies (ie, throw deep on 1st down) and had a gameplan on offense w/ short throws & runs.

I'm not as concerned about regular season record (think 11-13 wins s/b right). I want the next step...which we all know is hoisting Lombardi trophy.

As a Bear fan living in Packer country, I REALLY want this to happen.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Saints are not in the class of the Eagles and Bears. Their defense is suspect and their special teams are average. The Bears sit above the Eagles in special teams and defense. The Eagles offense is better, but really only because of their running back and quarterback. The wide receivers and lines are about the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Saints are right there, although they did seem to run well last year. They're third, but they're closer to the Bears/Eagles than they are to whoever is fourth. But that's splitting hairs.

Also, Outsiders isn't that high on the Bears this year and thinks they will decline, but what do they know? =)

Oh, and we have a better O-Line.

[ QUOTE ]
We will see Oct 21. I'll be there. There is a 60-40 chance I get my ass kicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome, where are you sitting? Have you been to the Linc before? Have fun and be careful if you're going to wear Bears stuff.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Well, a bit of bad news. Obafemi Ayanbadejo (spelling?) has been suspended for the first four games for (pause, wait for it)...STEROIDS!!! So someone else will have to help open some holes for Benson and catch 3rd down dump offs in September. I do think this makes the SD game look a lot tougher.