Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: 10/20 Commerce - top pair

I agree
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont.

WTF brings home the bacon, pocket aces?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets see. you are out of position and there is 30 bucks in the pot. then the button makes it 100 and you want to get 2000 in there with ace queen, first by calling then sticking the rest in with top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ray...something tells me you haven't played the 10/20NL at the commerce in quite some time.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets see. you are out of position and there is 30 bucks in the pot. then the button makes it 100 and you want to get 2000 in there with ace queen, first by calling then sticking the rest in with top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

^ I'm with Ray. Is it that out of the question that he has like AK, A4s, some people like to overplay 22, 44 any pair etc preflop because of what they see on TV.

I guess if you feel he'll give his money away to someone else first and you need to get to it now, but by the sounds of it you can find a less ambiguous spot to get all his money
Old 12-30-2005, 12:20 AM

NLfool,

The beauty of real poker is when you lose you can buy to cover!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding in this situation is letting a very good opportunity go by. One which probably wont come up because mr gambler will have gone broke.

...Iwould be happy to play a 4k pot vs said villain and top pair.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:37 PM

pushing is very standard here. and by here i mean commerce.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...Iwould be happy to play a 4k pot vs said villain and top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

is everyone missing where coltrane says:

after my checkraise, he pauses for a few seconds and raises $500 more.....I think he would've just called me down with AJ/etc. so his reraise either means that he has AK or better, or, he puts me on a pure bluff and he's trying to re-steal......he has like $1100 left......

sounds like he doesn't particularly want to get called here.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]

sounds like he doesn't particularly want to get called here.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly - you hit the nail right on the "turnip" ( [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] rah rah rah)....

here's the thing.....I gave you guys the reasons for my checkraise and it felt right at the time and my reasoning still seems correct, BUT, then when he reraised it felt really odd to be faced with a bet and a decision that was basically like "okay, I'm guess I'm going to move all my chips in knowing that the way he played his hand it seems like all I can beat is a bluff and if I get called I'm probably in bad shape."......I don't know what to think about that, I don't like being in that spot.....

does that mean the checkraise was wrong?.....I still don't think so, because I think many MANY times he just calls my checkraise with a worse hand and then I value bet him on the turn/river and get his stack.....but so do I change my game plan once he reraises?....that doesn't seem right either because there is still the chance he is resteal-bluffing and plus it really seems like incorrect poker for me in this spot to raise just "to see where I'm at" particularly on the flop and out of positon and when the money's not all that deep and when I'm unsure of what a reraise by my opponent means.....

it's weird because it's such a simple hand, but it gave me a lot to think about in terms of the idea of making a commitment decision early on in a hand even when I'm not pot-committed and even when future action doesn't correspond with the information I made the commitment decision based on.....

it's like I'm deciding in advance upon a plan of action knowing that in the long run the overall plan is +EV, but the minority of times that it doesn't work out in my favor it seems like there's no real "abort" option and I am forced to make moves that are mistakes or at least moves that make it impossible for my opponent to make a mistake.....

does that make sense?......
Old 01-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Stop blue balling us and give us results please.