Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Default losing player or unlucky streak?

Hi,

two months ago i started playing poker. I made the big mistake by immediatly starting to deposit money without even knowing the handrank perfectly.. Beat: lost 100$ @ 5NL & 10NL

Then i started to read some books but still i kept on losing money. Beat: another 50$ before the end of february

That's when i decided to take a break from playing and concentrate myself on reading & studying.. Now after 3 week i made another deposit (50$), installed pokertracker and started playing again, only at 5NL. Slowly i wanted to start putting what i've learned into my game.. Now i'm 2,6K hands further and down 30$.. I so often loose the pot when i have a good to very good hand beaten by someone calling with rags.. For most of you this seems like no big deal but i read so many stories of guys who start playing with a no deposit and made it up in a few weeks to a nice BR..It's quite hard knowing then how much i lost.

I've read already few books. Poker 4 dummies, Winning low limit hold'em from lee jones, supersystem, NL hold'em from roy rounder and i'm now busy reading SSH from Miller..

Now i really would like to get good in my new pastime and i understand that it takes a lot of patience, study & practice and that's really fine, but losing all deposits while practicing isn't.. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I scanned my PT database. I know 2,6K hands aren't enough for a real view but i'm sure it says already smth..So i would like to get some advice from other players..

here my PT details (autorules describe me as TAG)..Maybe you guys can see some leak like not raising enough on my hands and calling too much instead of raising or smth like that..

http://i18.tinypic.com/30msf3m.jpg

Thanks in advance for the great advice i'll probably get here. I heard this is the best pokerforum 2 be.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: losing player or unlucky streak?

how does 19/12 lose at NL5?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does this post end up in BBV

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-15-2007, 01:19 PM

yea sorry, didn't know the good map 4 it..so put it in beats map..

And i would like to play more till at least a 10k sample size but can't afford to loose another 200$ or more again..
Old 03-15-2007, 01:20 PM

You'll get a lot more help in the Micro NL forum.

Play more hands, that sample size isn't nearly enough to tell anything!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Maybe you weren't meant to be a poker player
Old 03-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Did you print your PT stats out and scan them or something? Why are there creases in it?

If you are playing 19/12 at 10nl and losing then you are the unluckiest player ever. Just give up.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two months ago i started playing poker. I made the big mistake by immediatly starting to deposit money without even knowing the handrank perfectly.. Beat: lost 100$ @ 5NL & 10NL

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing above your bankroll for starters.

Out of 100 hands you went to the river with, half were folded - isn't this what we collectively call a fish?

You are starting too high for your bankroll and don't even "get" poker by your own words, put another $100 in and start playing limit .5/1 limit - get poker first, then "graduate" to No Limit.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Guaranteed success at 10nl.

1) Limp every hand
2) If you flop the nuts go all in, otherwise fold.
3) That's it.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:29 PM

3 thousand hands isn't enough. Also, don't play so low, if people don't fold you're in a card catching contest. Determine how much you're willing to spend on poker before you'll quit and never play again. Deposit this amount. Play stakes where the average opponent is sitting with 1/20th of your total bankroll. Learn about hand values relative to position. Bet pairs and good draws aggressively when you decide to play a pot and continuation bet good hands that miss. At every stage of betting, make a guess of what your opponent holds and react accordingly. Don't play tired/upset. Play one table at a time until you've developed a rhythm and are winning. Every time you see a show down, ask yourself if you put your $ in ahead or behind. Only bet if you either get called by worse hands or will surely fold out better hands. This is enough to beat .5/$1.00