Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 11:01 PM

Default QQ - I Feel Like a Girlyman

Bizarre table where my big hands are getting cracked left & right, yet I'm winning a lot with ace high (or less) at showdown. There are several loose players scattered to my right who are making this a coldcalling convention on most hands.

Reads don't really matter here. My usual play in this situation is to bet the flop and take a free card on the turn when I'm called, call & fold UI if I'm check/raised. Go with ol' faithful, or check through & give up on the hand?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero...?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: QQ - I Feel Like a Girlyman

See the flop as cheap as possible raising is pointless at smaller limits, of course call a raise if you have a gun hand. I'm finding at my tables nobody respects a raise out of the button or anywhere for that matter and actually almost expect it so don't bother with it. Let other people value raise for you and trap them at the later streets if you get the appropriate help.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:30 AM

bet!

theres still a chance your ahead and you don't want to be giving out free cards if you are.

if called, check the turn and river a Q...unless someone has KJ...then you should just blank the turn and river.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 AM

The possibility that one of them has an Ace is around 60 or 70% but I believe that the size of the pot would make a bet correct here, especially if this table has been allowing you free turn cards.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 AM

Given that reads are unimportant:

I bet, and fold to a raise on the flop given an uncoordinated board. My line on the turn is also bet/fold, then take a free showdown or call one bet on the river if forced to.

Edit: Forgot to mention: if a K comes on the turn or the river, bet/fold turns into a bet/call, since there is now odds for the inside straight.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:23 AM

Just check. Pretty much everything is getting good enough odds to see the turn, any turn card above 7 can complete a straight or make a two pair and you are already quite likely drawing very thin.

If you bet and don't get raised you can't really check the turn (except K/J really) and give all the lower pairs/gutshots a free card. You might even end up drawing to a tie if a K or a J comes and someone donks.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 AM

check. why on earth put more money into a hand where you have virtually no outs, and are almost certainly beat. An ace won't fold. There's 6 players, someone has an ace. You get a freeshot at a 2 outer, gladly take it.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 AM

bet with intentions of checking the turn. the best way to make it to the river and try to hit our two set outs or our bd straight will be one sb on the flop and checking the turn UI.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See the flop as cheap as possible raising is pointless at smaller limits

[/ QUOTE ]

So if those same donk players all won the lottery and you sit with them at a $1000/2000 blind game (their play is the exact same) and you pick up AA UTG, you are limp/calling since they don't respect your raise and will call 90% of the time?

There is a major flaw in your theory.

Haupt_234
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 PM

bet! I like your line.