Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Should age be a factor in a promotion?

My wife (26) has been approached twice by her company about taking a significant position in the company. It seems like both times they have just been trying to gauge her interest in the position for the future. She has been witht he company about 3 years and has already been promoted 3 times, currently in a leadership role in Marketing. This is a large company.

Both times the person discussing this has brought up her age and that she may be "too young". My wife really isnt interested in the job right now so I guess its not a huge issue, but it really chaps my ass that older bosses/superiors use the "too young" reasoning.

Im the youngest guy at my job and am far, far ahead of most. I understand, in most cases, you dont want to hire an 18 yr old kid to run a company but someone in their mid 20s with a degree, experience and proven success?

Again, this isnt really an issue since there is no REAL interest in the position right now but my wife seems to think saying someone is "too young" isnt that big of a deal. Am I crazy?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Should age be a factor in a promotion?

You're crazy.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 PM

This got me thinking about something i found out yesterday.

As some people here know i left Blockbuster (I was a Store Manager) and went to Sears to become an Assistant Store Manager (They pay alot better, better hours etc.) I applied for Operations Manager which is basically Inventory, LP, Paperwork etc. you know actual Operations. This older guy also applied from Blockbuster. He wanted to be the Appliances Manager. In the end i got the job he wanted (Brand Central which is basically all the Hardlines outside of Tools) and he got Operations. I found this odd as even though he was a Store Manager for Blockbuster as well, my store was MUCH more profitable and generally ran much better in the companies numbers. I wonder if they gave him the slightly better job due to age? Perhaps it was the 30 other years of experience? I don't know, but i found it be odd.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM

I understand that with age, usually, comes experience. I work with guys who have done the SAME EXACT job for 20+ years. Well, in the past 3 years that job has changed drastically and they are falling behind. But, they still look down on younger guys because they have all the experience. If you are in the same position at the same place for 20+ years arent you doing something wrong?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM

"Too young" = "Too inexperienced" maybe?

EDIT: You basically posted about that just as I posted this. I'm just wondering if they are using young when they mean inexperienced with your wife, although that still isn't always a good reason.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Too young" = "Too inexperienced" maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

this may be the case honestly, im not really sure. But I would much, much rather hear that I dont have the experience they are looking for, not that im too young.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 PM

That fact that your wife isnt interested may == "Too Young" also.

20's arent known for their stability. Someone older is less likely to just pick and move
Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 PM

Too young = she is a woman of childbearing age and they don't want to invest time in money in training only for her to take a maternal leave forcing them to not only replace her but hold her job for when she returns.

Obviously what they are doing is illegal but it is also completely reasonable.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Good point.

I know noone who wants children less than my wife. But, Im also just talking in general, not just this case.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that with age, usually, comes experience. I work with guys who have done the SAME EXACT job for 20+ years. Well, in the past 3 years that job has changed drastically and they are falling behind. But, they still look down on younger guys because they have all the experience. If you are in the same position at the same place for 20+ years arent you doing something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can speak to this . . .

I've been employed by the same corporation for over 20 years . . . IT work of various kinds. I have decent pay, benefits that are a very good fit for the particular problems I have to deal with, and a bunch of people around me that I've known for a long time and can trust.

Could I have made more money by moving around? Probably.

Would I have the same sort of job security if I had moved around more? Probably not.

Would I be happier? Not really.

As far as the skills vs. experience question, I think you can look to poker for a clear illustration of the values of each . . . and consider whether, as an employer in a particular situation, which qualities you need for that position.