Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra?

I'd be interested in hearing about Toyota's quality issues. Quality is a big reason they just passed GM. Is this just with their trucks?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM

I bought a used Tacoma about 4 years ago and love it. I have never had a single problem out of it, Im at 105K miles and it still runs super smooth and quiet.
Aside from changing the oil all I have done is put new tires on it. I plan on it easily reaching 250K miles.

(FWIW my wife drives a camry and it too has been a great car, not a single problem out of it either)
Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to be buying the house you are moving to or renting it? If you are buying, I would advise against buying any vehicles until after the purchase of the house. People run into trouble when buying a house. They go out and buy new vehicles to go with their new drive way before they buy the house. Their debt-to-credit ratio skyrockets and then the financing on the house comes through at a higher rate which ends up costing a fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]
We're buying, and the vehicle would be purchased well after the house has been purchased. Thanks though.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Avalanche >>> Ridgeline, why so against buying American?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not entirely rational. Both her and I have grown up with exclusively Japanese cars, and very few American cars appeal to either of us.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Avalanche >>> Ridgeline, why so against buying American?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not entirely rational. Both her and I have grown up with exclusively Japanese cars, and very few American cars appeal to either of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, American car quality for the most part sucks. Here's the most recent JD Power results, for Initial Quality (least problems in the first 90 days):

1) Porsche
2) Lexus
3) Lincoln
4) Honda
5) Mercedes
6) Jaguar
7) Toyota
8) Mercury
9) Infiniti
10) Ford
11) Scion
12) Kia
13) Hyundai
14) Buick
15) Chevy
30) Dodge

For Midsize Pickups, the top 3 are:
1) Toyota Tacoma
2) Honda Ridgeline
3) Dodge Dakota

Large pickup is where the US is good though, but mostly because they are the only real participants in this category (I believe this study doesn't take into account the redesign of the Tundra to compete)...
1) Chevy Silverado
2) Ford F150
3) GMC Sierra

I have all other sorts of quality studies around here somewhere, but they all pretty much have the Big 3 American companies a step below the foreign autos.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM

I wouldn't go ruling out domestic trucks just yet -

GM makes some really tough trucks for relatively cheap compared to the other guys.

The newer big trucks use the duramax engine & allison transmission, which are almost indestructible. I think those are only available on their bigger HD vehicles though - anyone know for sure?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

GM makes some really tough trucks for relatively cheap compared to the other guys.

The newer big trucks use the duramax engine & allison transmission, which are almost indestructible. I think those are only available on their bigger HD vehicles though - anyone know for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Big trucks (big tow capacity kind) are the only place I see the US leading, mostly because nobody was making them but the US prior to the redesigned Tundra. It'll give them a run for their money if it even remotely approaches the quality of Totota's other vehicles.

However, it'll take a lot to change the opinions of many of the blue collar boys that are driving those things.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the GMC Sierra/ Chevy Silverado 2500 have this setup as an option. Its pretty much a real truck though, beyond what it sounds like OP need.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the GMC Sierra/ Chevy Silverado 2500 have this setup as an option. Its pretty much a real truck though, beyond what it sounds like OP need.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good to know, and you're correct. I definitely don't need or want something that heavy duty.

To hijack this a little, what are people's thoughts on the Subaru Outback these days? My family had one almost ten years ago or so and have no real idea yet whether it'd suit us better. My girlfriend drove one for a few years and fell in love with the car, and I think it's still her first choice. I'm mostly worried that it'd be too small, though I think it might suit our other purposes better.

Again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:55 AM

What are suburbs of Seattle?