Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and for those of you saying 0.8 is a stupid arbitrary line - 0.8 is pretty drunk - it definitely affects your ability to drive. there have been many, many studies done on this (none of which i'm going to look up cuz i'm lazy).

[/ QUOTE ]
10 you are wrong
20 goto 10

This thread is like a very simple BASIC program.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 you are an old man
20 you have no friends, no life. probably not married but if you are you're definitely not getting any.
30 you spend 100% of your free time on 2+2
40 that is pretty pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else feel a sense of irony from someone insulting someone else's social life via a slam made in BASIC?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To play the other side of this, you would be concentrating more on driving during the test, making the results skewed. I'd say the average person that makes drunk driving dangerous is acting retarded with their phone, eating etc. The same activities that make regular driving dangerous probably get compounded when you're drunk because of the shortened attention span.

[/ QUOTE ]

A counter-argument to this is that generally horrible drivers would be paying much more attention during the test, while they're more likely to be eating, changing their cd, texting on their cell phone, while driving, the very moment they can legally operate a vehicle. The average person that makes driving dangerous, period, is that type of person. I also suggested a driving course designed specifically for this, with obstacles jumping out at you and so forth. You could even hire neighborhood children for a couple bucks a day to run out in front of the person being tested. Tasteless? Maybe...

My point is this, there are plenty of completely [censored] drivers on the road, a fair percentage is probably TONS worse than me with a .10 or even .12 BAC. But they're still allowed to drive because they passed that stupid test? Hilarious. I want to be given a fair chance to prove that I'm a capable driver, even when feeling the effects of alcohol. Far more capable than a 80 year old lady with 20/200 vision driving a boat of a vehicle
Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*insert Daliman reference*

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was talking per mille, which is standard in europe. next time i'll try to remember to convert to american.

[/ QUOTE ]

*insert comment about which country Im in and which country you're in right now*
Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually love this. It could just be a different line at the DMV. I think it might work better if the test were a little harder though. This could also help weed out people who just plain suck at driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'd endorse slightly erring on the side of caution with this test. There are enough crappy drivers on the road today anyways.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming they have to cover all costs (no way in hell do I want a tax dollar going to cover this), I would be 100% for this.

Though, the uproar would more than make this never happen

[/ QUOTE ]

Uproar from whom? And why?

[/ QUOTE ]

MADD/The south/etc
Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and for those of you saying 0.8 is a stupid arbitrary line - 0.8 is pretty drunk - it definitely affects your ability to drive. there have been many, many studies done on this (none of which i'm going to look up cuz i'm lazy).

[/ QUOTE ]
10 you are wrong
20 goto 10

This thread is like a very simple BASIC program.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 you are an old man
20 you have no friends, no life. probably not married but if you are you're definitely not getting any.
30 you spend 100% of your free time on 2+2
40 that is pretty pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else feel a sense of irony from someone insulting someone else's social life via a slam made in BASIC?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know BASIC for the record
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the 80 pound cheerleader will reach 0.08 much faster than the 300 pound slob. So what's the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally dont know anywhere near enough about studies of BAC to have an opinion re: 0.08 vs 0.1,0.12, etc, but I think the following it pretty clearly true:

There will be variation within the population as to how coherent they are 0.08 (ie. not the variation in amount of alcohol needed to hit 0.08, but ability to function at 0.08). Even if only 5% of the population becomes dangerous at 0.08, its probably more than enough of a % to make a strong case for the law of 0.08.

The problem here, is that the people in like the top 10% of the population are going be like "OMG WTF IM FINE AT 0.08," and you may very well be able to drive safely at 0.12, but a nationwide law of 0.12 might let a good chunk of people drive legally at a dangerous level. Assuming we all agree that an individualized BAC legal limit is just too difficult, there doesnt seem to be a lot of other great options here. There are probably some 13 year olds out there who are physically/mentally able to drive well, but the law doesnt care about them; it cares about all the ones that cant when it sets the arbitrary cutoff.

Obv all numbers in the post are pulled out of my ass to explain the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point explains why we have a set limit of 0.08 for a DUI. The police have a skewed perception of what drunk is, and the offenders have an oppositely skewed perception. This is why there are lesser penalties for being impaired at < 0.08. I am just one of those people that believes that the limit should be greater than 0.08.

And I don't care if this has been discussed ad nauseum. I'm not reading through the entire thread. I have a hangover and I want to be oppressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

MADD, baby!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*insert Daliman reference*

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was talking per mille, which is standard in europe. next time i'll try to remember to convert to american.

[/ QUOTE ]

*insert comment about which country Im in and which country you're in right now*

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm on the internet. where are you?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One question: we know of officers pulling people over, determining they're intoxicated even though they tested less than .08, yet booking them still. Has anyone heard of a case of an officer breathalysing someone at greaten than .08 yet letting them go because they seemed alert, and capable of operating heavy machinery? Seems to me discretion should go both ways hmmm?

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine was let go AT .08 once. That's all I know. The issue is that the gray area is the "below .08 but still impaired" crowd probably more than the "above .08 and borderline" crowd. I would also assume that lots of the people above .08 that are OK tend to get pulled over less, barring "DUI checkpoints" and the like. A cop has to have a reason to pull you over, which is why I drive like a grandma when I'm out at bar close.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Far more capable than a 80 year old lady with 20/200 vision driving a boat of a vehicle

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it could just be a boat, depending on how bad her vision really is...

I will say this of drunk driving. I've driven way too drunk one time. I was 17. I was going over to a friend's house and I was plowed. I got out of my neighborhood and realized things were moving a little too much. I pulled over for a few minutes, then very carefully drove home, realizing how drunk I was. After that day, I never drove after more than 2 drinks. Just my story/two cents.