Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Default General advice on starting hands

Hi

I have recently been playing omaha in order to clear a bonus at Titan (increased points compared to holdem) I have played a couple of sessions on a 6 max table at 0.10c/0.20c level and am making money by only playing with the nuts/ near nuts.

Now to the question should I play Ace suited regardless of the other 2 cards, should I play low connectore ie upto 4,5,6,7 type hands or should I stick to my current requirements of all cards must work together.

As a supplement is there much bluffing at these sort of levels - I so far just fold if I think I am beat and haven't out right bluffed as I expect someone to call.

Thanks in advance for replies and if you have any other helpful advice please include it.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: General advice on starting hands

Ace suited hands are fine but they need to be a876 or a986 type hands to get good value. don't hesitate to play 4-7 wraps if they are suited. In fact, many people raise with those hands for value preflop.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ace suited hands are fine but they need to be a876 or a986 type hands to get good value. don't hesitate to play 4-7 wraps if they are suited. In fact, many people raise with those hands for value preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me.

Also, remember that position is very important in determining which hands to play. Loosen up as you get closer to the button.

Also, many people only raise preflop with AAXX hands. You can call liberally in position with marginal hands (like QT96) if you know they will go broke with their AAXX hand.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, many people only raise preflop with AAXX hands. You can call liberally in position with marginal hands (like QT96) if you know they will go broke with their AAXX hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who exactly is this? I don't see anyone who plays this way. This is a lie. On the other hand you can call liberally with marginal hands in position against any player. Position is more important than cards
Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who exactly is this? I don't see anyone who plays this way. This is a lie. On the other hand you can call liberally with marginal hands in position against any player. Position is more important than cards

[/ QUOTE ]

A ton a people only raise with AAXX hands. They usually have very low preflop raising numbers. Sometimes you will see a KQJTds or KKQTds hand too. Anyone with a preflop raising percentage of less than 3% or so (over a sufficient number of hands) falls into this category.

I'm not saying you should automatically put someone on AAXX. My main point was that position is huge and if they have AAXX you put them in a very difficult position postflop.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:36 PM

I've played quite a bit on Ipoker at the 20PLO level. There is some bluffing and you can bluff. I think it's important though to be comfortable in your game enough to know when that might be a good time.

As has been said position is important, and it's a lot easier to bluff on earlier streets with position, particularly semi-bluffing.

Playing FR nut-peddling can be very profitable at these stakes. 6-Handed not so much in the long run.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:30 PM

HappyAlan - I suggest you go to the bottom of the page when you first log on to this forum.

You'll find a search box there.

Type the words "starting hands" (including the quotation marks) in the search box. And then click on the search button.

You'll find all sorts of advice, mostly good but some perhaps misleading, about starting hands.

You decide what's right for you.

Good luck.

Buzz
Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the help

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably leave this one for now as for the bit about 6 max I have found them good so far as everyone seems to want to get involved in every pot. I am trying to follow some sound advice I read elsewhere on the forum about trying not to get into situtions that lead to difficult decisions. I will look to add suited aces to my hands when the other cards connect too so thanks for that tip.

Buzz i know there is a lot of info on here and I do search but having registered I felt I might as well make a post too!