Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Default PF calling range against LAG player

I'm trying to move up into the 15/30 game at the Oaks; I usually play the 3/6 and 6/12 game, of which I can normally beat. My second session playing 15/30, LAG player two seats to my right, game is a little maniacal. I've seen LAG player 3 bet ace 6 offsuit, j 9 suited, jq offsuit, qq, 88. He's capable of betting air all the way to the river, but shows down the goods ~80% on the river.

In this type of game, am I looking to play tighter or looser? Game is a complete mix of tight and loose players, but for the most part, the average number of players to the flop is 4. If LAG player 3 bets, what's my minimum calling range if I expect at most 4 players to the flop? How does this change if I have a donk two seats to my left who likes going to war with LAG?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: PF calling range against LAG player

Considering I fit into the SEMI-LAG category (see my post in this forum about 3-betting light)... I find that I have the most trouble playing against my buddy who has TOTALLY caught onto my style.

He Four bets me light... it sucks.

His thought process is as follows:

If I'm 3 betting with hands like suited aces, KJ, QJ, and 88... He is 4 betting me with 50% of his playable hands.

If someone behind him cold-calls 3 or 4... he knows RIGHT were they are at.

Additionally, for one small bet (his pre-flop four bet)... I HAVE to put the breaks on unless I flop super hard. This allows him to get a ton of free cards when he believes he is behind (post flop) or he can take me to value town when he's ahead.

I can guarantee you that some LAG who 3-bets with A-6... gets capped... and flops an ace... he's not going to be the post flop aggressor most of the time. He's checking to you on AT LEAST the flop.

That being said... 4-betting light might turn you into that which you are complaining about... a true lag... but it might be worth doing once or twice a session to try to slow these guys down.

SIDENOTE: This does have the funny affect of me having to call my buddy down more often with mediocre hands like medium pairs... and to the outsider I'm sure it looks like possible collusion.

Somehow in a full game, 4 -bet preflop, we've gotten to show-down with some pretty ragged hands. Kind of funny.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: PF calling range against LAG player

In general, you want to be player tighter and more aggressively than most of those you've seen at the lower stakes tables and the LAGs at your 15/30.
I LOVE Bicycles' story above and agree w/his friends' tactic of re-raising to isolate LAGs on your right. Playing heads-up against loose players can be a decent portion of your overall profit at a game like you describe. If you decide to occasionally loosen up your starting hands a bit, it is key that you do it when in position.