Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Default 40-80 turn decision

Live game at Commerce. I have pocket aces in the big blind. A limp, a raise and a call from the small blind. I 3-bet and all call.

Flop is K-8-3 rainbow. Small blind checks, I bet, 2 calls, now small blind check-raises. I decide to call and raise the turn. Both other opponents call. However . . .

The turn is an ace. Small blind now checks.

Are there factors that would lead you to consider checking here? Or is this simply a no-brainer bet?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 40-80 turn decision

I would just three bet the flop - that way if he has a set, you only pay two bets on the turn rather than three and you protect your hand in this multiway pot. You wouldn't mind getting an 8 or whatever out and I prefer not to use the turn raise play when stuck in the middle there.

As played, I'd definitely bet the turn. He may think that's a good card for him if he flopped a set and you get three bets out of him plus action from those behind you potentially. That card is scary if no one has an ace and it's likely to be checked through esp. if they fear a tight player like you has a cinch. Basically, play this hand straight.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2006, 04:41 PM

Who else called the check raise ? That's probably what I need to know before I decide.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:47 PM

Sorry, both other players called. I edited the original post to reflect this.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM

ok so 8 big bets come the turn, and the guys who got check raised had enough of this flop to stick around. If you bet here everyone is getting 9 to 1, and now there's surely a flush draw, a straight draw, and draws to 2 pair. Maybe already 2 pair. I bet away. I'd be shocked if all but 1 other guy came along.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 PM

There are definitely opponents against whom I'd check. These are the types who focus heavily on preflop action when making reads and like to make specific reads.

Against certain lineups, your hand will look too much like QQ to the limpers and they won't be able to resist. (And if they can resist, they are unlikely to have called your bet, especially because tend to be the types who will want to fold a K or 8 once they get their dead read on you.)

All that said, I have a few specific opponents and profiles in mind when I think about checking, and it would take a lot to get me not to bet.

--Nate
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM

The more supreme juiciness is what happens if you bet and get raised. I'd try and get as many overcalls as possible. Man I love it when you have to make that decision [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2006, 05:09 PM

"Are there factors that would lead you to consider checking here?"

i would definitely check. the chances someone will bet and you checkraise several players is awesome. also there's no draws out against you so your hand is the nuts and doesnt need protecting. time to slowplay a little. if you check and someone bets but the others fold you might want to wait until the river to try and checkraise. unless it's a player who will auto-pay off in that case go ahead and c/r the turn. in my eyes there's just too much chance no one has anything to call any aggression from you, but they might bet if you show weakness.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM

"the chances someone will bet and you checkraise several players is awesome. also there's no draws out against you so your hand is the nuts and doesnt need protecting."

How do you figure ?

Also who is betting ? the one other A ?

"in my eyes there's just too much chance no one has anything to call any aggression from you"

9 to 1. They hardly need ANYTHING to make calling correct.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 PM

I pretty much always bet and hope to get check-raised again.