Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Winning in a Low Stakes Passive Omaha/8 Games

Hey all,

I recently found the juciest dealer's choice game around. However, they frequently play Pot Limit Omaha Eight-Or-Better, a game that I am not accustomed to (although I am familiar with Omaha High). The good news is that the game is so passive that even while I am learning it there is almost no chance I will lose much. But I am here because I want to exploit that as much as possible.

Basically I am asking for advice. This is a low-stakes game that is extremely passive, and with the following bits of information I was wondering what advice any of you could give on how to generate the most profit.

Assume that:

1) Every player plays any four cards from any position
2) The pot is never raised preflop, and if it is it is only to build the pot, not to get rid of people.
3) Because of these two points, preflop position is negated, everywhere is equal
4) Almost everyone will call large flop bets, but only real hands stay in for the turn and river
5) The low is more frequently chased than the high

What advice could any of you give to exploit the best way possible?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Winning in a Low Stakes Passive Omaha/8 Games

If all of what you say is true:

1) Don't bother betting on the come, even when you're better than 50% to hit. Only ask the passive players to put the money in the middle when you've got a made hand.
2) If you flop vulnerable nuts with no redraw, don't bet until at least the turn. This is especially true for made straights with a flush draw but no other obvious redraws.
3) Don't bother pumping any obvious made lows (involving A2 or A3. You may want to pump your nut low if it involves 25 or 34 or some other goofy combo.
4) Do pump your nuts on the turn and especially the river. Even if it looks like you're chopping for the same high straight, pump it to the river, in case the moran has overvalued two pair again.

Your mileage may vary.

( Now, where's my initation to this giveaway? )
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Read o8poker.com if you have 6+ players seeing the flop in FLO8, just nut peddling will be profitable.

As you're playing PL, if you have a great hand and an aggressive player behind you, who's going to do some betting, look to check/raise.

But you may find it hard to judge what a 'good' hand is. Say you have top set on K75 board your hand is actually the nuts but not very good, unless you have A2KK say.

That's because most turn cards will put a Lo, a str8 or open up another str8 possibility on the board.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Don't bother betting on the come, even when you're better than 50% to hit. Only ask the passive players to put the money in the middle when you've got a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
But passive players will check/call good hands on the flop, and then check to you on the turn (hoping to trap bluffs), so in position, saying never can't be right.

[ QUOTE ]

2) If you flop vulnerable nuts with no redraw, don't bet until at least the turn. This is especially true for made straights with a flush draw but no other obvious redraws.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the same in PLO, if you have nut str8, and no good redraws, you actually need to consider folding when there's heavy action!

Ideally you want 2-way potential so you can lock up one side of the pot, and free-roll for the other.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have 6+ players seeing the flop in FLO8, just nut peddling will be VERY profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Starting hand selection and nut-peddling is the key. Sophisticated play will actually hurt you.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
( Now, where's my initation to this giveaway? )

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ]Out of the kindness of your heart?
[ ]In the hope that I will do the same for those in need?
[x]Because you were bored?

Thanks for this anyway guys
Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM

Yeah I also like betting on the come when we've got a decent holding and drawing to the nuts. You can make a LOT of $ this way, b/c many times others are drawing to lesser hands b/c they have no idea what they're doing.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I also like betting on the come when we've got a decent holding and drawing to the nuts. You can make a LOT of $ this way, b/c many times others are drawing to lesser hands b/c they have no idea what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong. I love to bet on the come, and I especially love it when I hit.

However, if you're at a table of excessively passive calling stations, it's incorrect to put the money in early if you're certain that they'll pay you off when you hit for free.

BTW - If you look at Sklansky/Miller on NLHE, I think Miller gives some pretty good advice on how to play a table of calling stations for maximum ROI.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:35 AM

Think the example was heads up. In a multi-way pot if you are going to be called by multiple players, and then check-ed to on the turn, you'll make more money, getting called with then on the turn, or taking the free card. The free card on the flop, means you face a large turn bet when you miss your hand and you have to fold. So playing passively against passive opponents can cost you a pay day.

You might turn a hand which is actually a favourite on the flop, into a money loser, because you didn't charge them to avoid your huge number of outs.

Remember building up the pot, means big bets get called late in the hand, when you have the nuts.