Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Playing AK like a little girl.

Bodog 1000NL

Game has become almost rediculously aggressive with two busfare stacks in the game that have been just shoving around so I've been relatively quiet for a couple orbits. 2 out of 3 pots are 3 bet PF to 100 or better. I have 1 shorty OTB and another super aggro shorty in the BB that has only like 350. Opponent in this hand is in between both of the shorties in the SB and has a full stack of 1k. I cover but not by much.

Game is 5 handed at a 6 max table.

I'm dealt Ah Ks UTG and limp. (normal default is to make standard raise) but I really don't want to pay 105 to see a flop with AK OOP against another big stack or have to LRR a big stack over the top all in. I also planned on the LRR to the short stck in the BB who had been coming over the top since he's been there and he's reloaded twice for the minimum.

I limp AK and its folded aroudn to the SB who I don't have a solid read on but he hasn't gotten out of line yet makes it $50.00 to go. BB folds and I call.

Flop Kc 9c 8d
SB checks, I check it right back.

Turn 8c
SB Bets 75, I call.

River 4h
SB bets 150. I call. Meh, not sure I like the way I played this.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Playing AK like a little girl.

raising preflop is obv standard but i guess you know that. as played I would bet the flop and turn/river is basically standard, maybe you can squeeze in a minraise on the river or something.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM

I raise AK there like 90% of the time.

The plan I had with it this time was to LRR overbet shove against the shorties and to limp call the raise against the big stacks. I just didn't want to get caught OOP against a big stack in a three bet pot while telegraphing my hand. Hence the change up preflop.

I just feel like I should pop a raise in there somewhere. I'm just not sure where its appropriate.

I checked the flop behind as he was c-betting a lot and all of a sudden checked. Not that I thought he had a monster, it seemed like a defensive check that he was waiting to see, what I would do. I declind to give him any info about the strength of my hand and hope he has a mid pair or something he may think is good if I check behind on the flop.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:47 PM

If the game is playing so aggressive I don't understand why you wouldn't want to raise and get 3bet/squeezed and then you can come over the top.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Its the shortys in that game with big stacks that represent the problem (for me anyway) [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

i don't mind coming over the top of the shorties for a massive overbet, but I don't want to be in a situation where I have to be in a three bet pot OOP against a big stack (if the big stacks are the ones that 3 bet me, which is just as likely) If the shorty comes over the top either OTB or in the BB I can squeeze over the top for their entire stack in which they are probably going to call 75% of the time. Usually with a worse or even dominated hand.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:58 PM

I wouldn't generally be calling a 3bet OOP here esp given the games description and would surely 4bet.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:06 PM

I hear yah on that one and really didn't want to be in a situation where I had to 4 bet a big stack. Though it would have most likely been necessary. I wanted to play a bit more small ball here.

I said though my normal default is to raise it, in this game scenario I chose not to on this occasion. The short stacks were easy money and the big stacks were TAG regulars. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:11 PM

You should be wanting to put in $1000 here with AK in this game. It has to be the most +EV.

Given the way you played it you put in way too little money with your hand. Your hand is soooo ridiculously underrepresented it isn't even funny. I'd just bet every street, but at least raise the river.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Pretty much why I posted this hand. Even with my change up preflop, I should have raised the turn or river. Probably make the river 400 or so. Pretty much hgave to call a push there since i played this hand like such a bitch though right?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:14 PM

um, given the description of the game limping pre is pretty bad.

[ QUOTE ]
(normal default is to make standard raise) but I really don't want to pay 105 to see a flop with AK OOP against another big stack

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be looking to get all-in pre, i'd certainly be 4-betting.

as played..
i like a flop bet but check is ok. turn and river are fine.