Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: I need some golf clubs

Schwartzy61,

I love how you turn this into a "Absoludicrous thinks he's the man because he can drive the ball 300+ with a driver that, in your words is 10 years old."

When really we should be worrying about what IRONS and SETS of clubs to match up with OP. I clearly said the Armour 845's were a good option, NEVER ONCE did I say anything about driving the ball 300+ until you came into the picture telling him to buy a huge driver, and then getting on my case because I prefer a smaller faced club.

Let me keep using my 975D all while hitting the ball consistent, get off my nuts.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because I don't enjoy hitting a 800cc driver. Nor do I find a noteworthy improvement in my game. If I can hit my 260cc Titleist a consistent 305-315, all while being able to draw and fade, I'm probably not changing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]...300+ with 10 yds of variability?

You must be the guy in the middle...

Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 AM

10 yds of variability on a pured shot. It's obviously more than that on an average drive. And yes, I am that thing in the middle.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 AM

Absoludicrous, like I said, I guess I'm just jaded because everytime I get into a golf dicussion on the internet, even on the golf forums I frequent all I ever see written is how the guy is 6'4" has 110 mph swing speed and crushes every drive. It just gets, well, absoludicrous after awhile...

But then I go to the golf course on the weekend and see the majority of guys struggling to get the ball out there 250 consistently.

I was trying to help the guy who said he swings really slow out by building a little confidence. Just because he reads all this crap about how far everyone on the internet hits the ball doesn't mean he isn't actually hitting as well as the average american male. If you can really hit it 300+ on a consistent basis, more power to you. I'm glad you freaks of nature exist, because it is pretty awesome to see. But you are probably like my roommate. talks about distance constantly, measure performance by how far you are hitting the club, and at the end of the day I've beaten him because he can't hit a decent shot from within 50 yards and is horrible on the green. But then the next day he'll spend two hours at the range hitting nothing but full swing shots. And what I can't figure out is why he even goes to the course to play golf. He is basically just going through a range session on the course. and when he gets around the green it's like he may aswell not even be there. If the poor guy woudl spend two hours at the practice and chipping greens he'd be much better off. But for whateve reason he never does it. And then after the round he tries and blame his driver because he didn't hit every single one dead straight. So when he goes and sees his golf instructor on tuesday he has already said he wants his instructor to fix his driver swing. But all I can say to myself is what an idiot, he needs to tell that damn instructor to give him his money back, because he won't ever improve his score until he figures out how to hit a shot that doesn't require a full swing.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:55 AM

Yeah, no biggie Schwartzy. I didn't want this thread to turn into your typical macho I can hit it a mile thread. Your drives are about 1/4 of the total equation IMHO. Obv, you have to be hitting the ball at least 200 yds with some consitency. But no, to shoot decent rounds, you don't need to contend with touring pros off the tee.

With that, your mid-irons (6-9) should be on lock, as well as your shortgame. It's putting and chipping where you save the most strokes, not driving. (unless you're OB every drive, assuming you're not)

[ QUOTE ]
But then I go to the golf course on the weekend and see the majority of guys struggling to get the ball out there 250 consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Becaus that's the apitimy of 90% of your golfers. Golfing is a very bottom heavy sport, there's a lot of horrible players, but not very many elite. Very tough game, but like poker, with some analyzation and some ambition, just about anyone can be shooting in the 70's and 80's.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 PM

There's a reason the Tommy Armour 845s are the biggest sellings set of irons in history--they're good sticks, very good for entry level golfers.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Since people were talking about drivers a couple responses up, anyone use or know someone who uses:

1. Nike Ignite
2. Cobra SZ
3. Cleveland Launcher

? Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM

I'll pay for schwartzy61 and absoludicrous to play 18 holes together as long as u guys shut up....
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM

There have been a lot of good suggestions in the thread, aside from the sniping going on.

Unfortunately, it all comes down to the individual. You have to head to the local big box store (for me its GolfSmith) and try out a few sets from each of the major manufacturers. I used to play Titleist, but now I play TaylorMade. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but the weight and balance on the TM fits my swing better (which is uglier than a $2 crack whore). I can't swing a Callaway club to save my life, but again, it doesn't mean that they are awful clubs, just not right for me.

Swing a few, see what feels right. Cavity back irons and a forgiving driver are going to do more for you than blades and "pro" driver. Unless you are going to get VERY serious about it, work with some of the cheaper wedges and putters. This is a crucial part of the game, but get your swing and tempo down around the green before dropping a couple hundred on a Vokey Wedge or Scotty Cameron putter.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well generally speaking taller players need longer clubs. But if your arms are longer than average for your height you could wind up being around standard length. Conversely, if your arms are shorter for your heighth you could wind up having to add some serious length.

One advantage you have being taller than average is the fact that being taller winds up adding some distance to your shots. You will have a larger swing arc which should naturally produce longer shots. Lessons should also add a little swing speed by getting all the parts of the swing synced up.

As for your swing speed being really slow, that would have to be determined through a measurement device, and chances are you are just average. You'd be surprised what a typical swing speed is. Don't believe a lot of the BS you hear on the internet. Like most message boards there are a lot of things that a greatly exaggerated. Like Absoludicrous above, he somehow consistentlys hits drives that would put him in the top 10 on tour in driving distance with a driver that has 10 year old technology in it. Everytime I wind up in golf discussions on internet boards all I ever hear is how "I consistently hit 300 yard drives, blah blah blah." It's to the point where I just ignore anyone that wants to start quoting average distances. I don't generally call people out on message boards because it isn't worth the effort, but hopefully me doing it here will lead you to believe that no matter how far you are hitting it off the tee you can still keep up with the other guys in your group.

In addition how far you are hitting the ball off the tee can be affected by a number of different things including your angle of attack, the clubhead's material, loft, shaft kick point, and shaft flex. These things combine with your swing speed to produce your ball flight. Unless you have actually had your swing measured, getting a properly fitted driver coudl fix most of your distance issues.

So just don't worry as much about distance. In golf the count the NUMBER of strokes, not how far each shot goes. My roommate is obsessed with distance and I've beaten him 3 out of the 4 times we played despite being consistently one club shorter on iron shots and at least 30 yards shorter off the tee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean just distance off the tee. It's from everywhere. I usually take two extra clubs from what my friends take when we play.
I was at the range today and it's next to impossible for me to get a consistent, comfortable stance. I've been trying to flatten out my swing to see if that would help. I stand really tall and straight when I do just about anything (standing, walking, running, skating, etc.). I shot a 97 when I was out 3 weeks ago so I'm not a complete donk on the course.