Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: 99% of species are extinct

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But we're heading down murky waters if we accept the entire premise - which will ultimately end up at extreme social darwinism and the conclusion that there are no ethics, no rights, no nothing except for the rule of the strongest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why *aren't* we at "extreme social darwinism" right now? What does give us this sense of ethics and rights if not merely rational self-interest? I think the idea that we act in any way other than based on what's most desirable to us is responsible for many misconceptions, and thus problems.

"Ethics," as I've said before on this forum (not really sure who all agrees), is an empty word to me. It sort of strikes me the same as "species." Actions are actions. The consequence will determine the desirability. "Ethics" only exists when you seek to conveniently classify the merits of an action. But it's nothing more than an intangible recognition of what's tangibly desirable. Since humans share the same basic condition, you can reasonably say that ~all humans will consider some actions desirable or undesirable, and that we will effectively be able to defend what is best for our prosperity (by defending what is best for ourselves). It seems (since we share the same basic condition) you needn't have anything more than self-interest to come out with this result, and the sense of "ethics" and "rights" that you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's an appealing thought. My only objection is that if you use at as sole foundation for a belief you will end up giving legitimacy to almost any action/outcome you can think of. Anything that is, will be a result of what people did (as you say, no ethics - only actions) so pretty much any event/regime/something would be completely legitimate simply because it exists or happened.

For instance, you are an ACer and I support the modern democratic state. Which even though the outlooks are vastly different, means we both support some basic right(s) we assume people should have - this inherently means we disagree with how some systems/societies are run and that means we both believe in something more than a basic 'darwinistic' premise.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, you are an ACer and I support the modern democratic state. Which even though the outlooks are vastly different, means we both support some basic right(s) we assume people should have - this inherently means we disagree with how some systems/societies are run and that means we both believe in something more than a basic 'darwinistic' premise.

[/ QUOTE ]

But all I need to say in response is that I am an ACist and you are a statist because we see those things to be in our rational best interest. It isn't like "I support AC, but boy would I be happy if we did X instead." Our beliefs are based on logical assessments of the conditions, and from there, we can argue the extensions of certain assumptions and discuss which ones seem to most reasonably be best. That's still rational self interest. Even if one of your factors is that you want to help other people (and think either AC or a state does that most effectively) such is ultimately still self-interest (it would just happen that helping strangers is a value of yours).

[ QUOTE ]
so pretty much any event/regime/something would be completely legitimate simply because it exists or happened

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. If something happens it happens. What do you mean when you say it's "legitimate"? Do you mean I have to like it? Of course not. But there will be consequence, and nature will decide whether the entities that are likely to engage in a certain action will be likely to survive. If it affects me, I'll act in a way that adds my 2 cents to nature's decision.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Ethics," as I've said before on this forum (not really sure who all agrees), is an empty word to me. It sort of strikes me the same as "species." Actions are actions. The consequence will determine the desirability. "Ethics" only exists when you seek to conveniently classify the merits of an action. But it's nothing more than an intangible recognition of what's tangibly desirable. Since humans share the same basic condition, you can reasonably say that ~all humans will consider some actions desirable or undesirable, and that we will effectively be able to defend what is best for our prosperity (by defending what is best for ourselves). It seems (since we share the same basic condition) you needn't have anything more than self-interest to come out with this result, and the sense of "ethics" and "rights" that you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]
ah, memories

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But all I need to say in response is that I am an ACist and you are a statist because we see those things to be in our rational best interest. It isn't like "I support AC, but boy would I be happy if we did X instead." Our beliefs are based on logical assessments of the conditions, and from there, we can argue the extensions of certain assumptions and discuss which ones seem to most reasonably be best. That's still rational self interest. Even if one of your factors is that you want to help other people (and think either AC or a state does that most effectively) such is ultimately still self-interest (it would just happen that helping strangers is a value of yours).

[ QUOTE ]
so pretty much any event/regime/something would be completely legitimate simply because it exists or happened

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. If something happens it happens. What do you mean when you say it's "legitimate"? Do you mean I have to like it? Of course not. But there will be consequence, and nature will decide whether the entities that are likely to engage in a certain action will be likely to survive. If it affects me, I'll act in a way that adds my 2 cents to nature's decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we really are on the same chain of thought, just expressing it slightly differently. Basically the foundation that 'social darwinism' ultimately exists is the way we can give our beliefs legitimacy and call them better than other alternatives - simply because they serve us and others (according to our beliefs at least) better than the alternatives.

Like I can 'democracy is better than a dictatorship because people don't get shot for having a revolutionary brother' or you could say 'AC is better than state democracy because liberty of propery and self are the ultimate human rights', and the preceding chain of thought is how we can explain those beliefs without believing in absolute ethics or morality.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what role could it play in various arguments, such as the necessity of protecting habitat, or biodiversity

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much. Species becoming extinct is part of how the world works. Species can become extinct because they all die out, or because they evolve into another species. There are often times where species die out or change much faster than others. I don’t think it can justifiably be used the way see to want to use it.

[ QUOTE ]
99% of species are extinct

[/ QUOTE ]

How far do you need to go back in time before this ceases to be true?

I guess a few billion years, although a big confusion here is the difficulty in defining species in bacteria and archaea.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Evolutioniary biology is one of the most interesting subjects I've studied. Jump right in to the Cambrian animal fiesta if you want total immersion. There's not enough evidence for any specific theory and there's more than enough grant money for most any idea. More phyla came and went in this scant 15 million years than in any other*. Google 'Burgess shale' and jump right in, it's quite a tale.

* InTheDark is not now and has never been a paleontologist.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Its good to see people realize that no species lasts forever and all go extinct eventually.

The whole idea of an endangered species act is silly except for one reason: vanity.

Our vanity of preserving some species for our personal enjoyment is fine, as long as we know we are doing it for vanity and not for some greater reason.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our vanity of preserving some species for our personal enjoyment is fine, as long as we know we are doing it for vanity and not for some greater reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 PM

ONLY 99%?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT...

However, biodiversity is good for us, but you don't see many people worried about the many insects species going extint every day