FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is folding bad here?
Yes, folding is absolutely horrible 77 85.56%
Yes, but it's close 10 11.11%
No, folding is correct 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Hypothetical: You catch someone\'s first HR ball

I was watching the Yankee game and Shelly Duncan just hit his first major league home run. It is common practice when someone hits a milestone HR that the team approaches the fan and trades them a 4 pack of tickets and a signed ball (or something like that) in return for the HR ball.

Obviously, the ball has an intrinsic value of $3-$5 to the person who caught it but the ball has a sentimental value of a lot more to the hitter (and therefore it is worthwhile for the team to trade something with little intrinsic value to them: an empty seat or an Arod signed ball, in return for the HR ball). From a negotiator's perspective there is an enormous range for a possible deal to be made.

My question to you is two parts:

1) If you caught Shelly Duncan's home run ball would you try to haggle with the team for more than they offer (ie. would you try to get season tickets or $5,000 for the ball)? Would you be willing to walk away from the deal and keep the ball if the team did not meet your demands?

2) What would make you more inclined to haggle rather than give up the ball? Would you drive a harder bargain if the ball was hit by the opposing team? If the player who hit it was a bonus baby? Would you be more willing to give the ball up if the player sprinted around the bases with a huge smile going from ear to ear (as duncan did)?
Old 07-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical: You catch someone\'s first HR ball

An example of the question's wording influencing the answer.

I voted "take the first offer", and as of right now, I'm the only one who did. I simply do not believe that nobody else would be tickled to be offered anything, and would enthusiastically cooperate.

It is my opinion that almost none of you would've thought to haggle, until it was suggested in the question.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:16 PM

I voted haggle a little bit but settle quickly. I think a fair, reasonable deal is an autograph from the team's best 2 players. So, if I caught Duncan's ball, I'd ask for a ball signed by Jeter and a ball signed by A-Rod. This is pretty quick and painless, and certainly the stars wouldn't mind signing to help out a rook. Trying to get $5K or season tix is a pretty dirtbag thing to do IMO, and I'm not quite sure if you'd even get it.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:20 PM

being willing to walk away and keep the ball makes no sense if the ball is only worth $3-$5 to you.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:22 PM

I'd ask for a free ticket to a Bos/Red Sox game and if that failed then a signed ball by Mo
Old 07-21-2007, 04:24 PM

"Trying to get $5K or season tix is a pretty dirtbag thing to do IMO"

I don't see how it's a dirtbag thing to do. The team tries to get the most money from you at the ballpark, so why should you cut them a deal?

The poll needs a option to play hardball with no intention of keeping the ball. In theory, I would do that. Try to get the most I could, but I wouldn't have the ability to walk away with it. In practice though, I'd probably give it up for any reasonable compensation.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 PM

I don't go to games to try and get rich. I'd take whatever I could get for someone's first HR ball because I have no reason to hate the guy.

However, if I got Bonds' 756th HR, I would sell it for as much as possible and use the money to construct a giant asterisk billboard over every piece of property he owns.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 PM

if the team approached me (usher ---> team rep ---> offer). I negotiate and possibly walk away.

the player however (usher ---> player ---> request/offer) can have it for next to nothing.

if it's that important to him, he can take time to meet me and shake my hand.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the team approached me (usher ---> team rep ---> offer). I negotiate and possibly walk away.

the player however (usher ---> player ---> request/offer) can have it for next to nothing.

if it's that important to him, he can take time to meet me and shake my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this answer except I wouldn't walk away with the ball in either case.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:11 PM

i should also add that any dodger would have absolutely no chance of getting the ball back (in one piece).