Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: PSA: PokerTracker.com hacked - be aware.

This should be stickied in every strat forum IMO.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 AM

thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 AM

Should we be worried about even running it now? Is there any way they can hack into the updating process? What about my credit card information?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should we be worried about even running it now? Is there any way they can hack into the updating process? What about my credit card information?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would urge anyone who can to deny pokertracker access to the internet using your firewall. I know there's an option to allow it to automatically update and if you have that enabled and have configured your firewall to always allow internet access to pt, you might have a problem. According to another poster all pt does is ask to install the update, but I'd check out your firewall pronto anyway.

Re the final question, hopefully he's using a third-party financial transaction site. The info should be on their servers, accessible via his login/pw. I'm sure someone who knows more about e-commerce can confirm this idea.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 AM

PT uses a 3rd party to process cc's and run it's affiliate programs.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:41 AM

i might be paranoid here, but until today, i always got a prompt when opening PT asking me if i would like to check for new versions/patches.

Today, it automatically checked for new versions and I don't get the prompt (restarted it a few times to make sure). I've been getting the prompt for months/maybe years, and today it disappears and automatically checks for updates: a bit too much coincidence given this thread. But I know nothing about this stuff so maybe I'm way off.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know there's an option to allow it to automatically update and if you have that enabled and have configured your firewall to always allow internet access to pt, you might have a problem. According to another poster all pt does is ask to install the update, but I'd check out your firewall pronto anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess in the worst case scenario the hackers have discovered some vulnerability in PT that can be accessed by the auto-update. Sounds a bit weird if the auto-update acts different now than before. I'd definitely wouldn't allow PT to access the Internet until we have some more info. If there would be a trojan then I'd be worried that it attempts to get login info to all the poker sites and financial services that the user uses. So it might be a good idea to use another computer to change the passwords for these sittes if you have a lot of money online and have recently accessed them. And yes, I'm a bit paranoid about computer security.

If you disconnect your Internet connection before starting PT you might be able to remove the auto update option, and also block it in your firewall. Perhaps someone could post screenshots on how to do this. I.e. what is the components name that should be prevented from Internet access and where to turn off auto updates in PT.

Sorry that I can't be of more help, but I really need to put on my tinfoil hat and head to work as I'm very late.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, I'm a bit paranoid about computer security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, I'm just suggesting caution.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 AM

just want to point out for everyone freaking out, that it's entirely possible the site wasnt hacked by someone looking to exploit pokertracker users and stuff. Lots of times sites get "hacked" because some script kiddie is [censored] with a server or another site for various reasons and your site goes down as a result.

I would think that if someone hacked PT in order to install a bogus update to gain control of your system/passwords they would have had bogus updated loaded and ready to go, so that we could all have been infected before word got out the site was hacked, not caused the site to just go down and hours go by with nothing happening except for tech support trying to fix the issue.