Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Folding preflop to 3-bet?

Is it ever correct to fold to a 3-bet preflop?
Sometimes I do think that it is the proper thing to do.
Example: I raise A2o from button and get 3-bet by a very tight solid player from SB which folds SB 87% of the times.

Anyone thinking of folding?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Folding preflop to 3-bet?

call.And go from the flop.He might have various hands.Another A high,so your 2 is good,Any pair,so your Ace is good.U can`t realy fold
Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 PM

i don't ever (preflop) raise and fold to a 3bet, no.

it's bad for metagame if nothing else, plus the odds seem like you gotta take a flop. his range is a lot more than just better aces and if he has a big pp and you hit your ace you win the monies.

keep stealing against such a tight guy and it'll pay off.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 PM

If you assume the BB folds then you'd be getting 6:1 on your call for a HU flop. There's nothing I'd try and steal with that I'd be folding here.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Make it A4o/A5o from CO and you get 3-bet by him from button.Everyone is folding back to you.
We probably must hit an ace on flop and when we do we are sure to win less when our hand is good than he wins when he is ahead.We pretty much are destined to lose 0.5BB-1BB more when we are behind than when we are ahead (if we look at enough big sample)when we get a piece of the flop.We also are more proned to be the one folding the best hand.
Ignore metagame considerations because he is a by the book TAG.Could it not be a better decision to fold this hand or am I way off thinking about it.
I have calculated his range to be 77+,A9s,KJs,AJo,
Then we have about 33% equity against his range.But that is when we go to showdown and it includes hitting an ace on turn or river.But we are seldom going to see the turn or river unless we hit an ace on flop.
Add the folding best hand risk and the lose more ahead than behind scenario and I´m not so sure of the benefits of continuing if we see the hand in a vaccuum.
But I would be glad to be proven wrong because I never fold in these spots but I also never seem to win anything by calling and that has started to get me wondering.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM

you're way off imo, raisefolding pf never happens in 6m limit
Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We probably must hit an ace on flop and when we do we are sure to win less when our hand is good than he wins when he is ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is the price you pay for being OOP, and there's no way to avoid that, even if you have a better hand.

[ QUOTE ]
We also are more proned to be the one folding the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
How are you folding the best hand here? I guess if you flop the deuce and the board is something horrid like 2-K-Q-J-8 and he has A9 you could be doing that, but in most cases we're showing down if we hit a piece. Please tell me that you're never folding if you hit the Ace.

[ QUOTE ]
Ignore metagame considerations because he is a by the book TAG

[/ QUOTE ]
There are other people at the table, no?

All in all you're getting way to good odds to not see a flop, and some of the bad situations that you mention happen rarely enough that they are outweighed by when you flopp a hidden monster like 2-2-K or A-2-7 and he has AK and misplays it by giving you too much action.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 PM

How about psihology.It`s easy to loose face on the table.U raise,someone going on the top and u fold.well.Chicken...
Old 08-04-2007, 02:02 PM

I raise fold on occasion, but only with a dominatable ace out of position against a tight raiser.

My rationale is that I'm really only flopping to hit an A and maybe win. If all my ace outs are good I will flop an A 16% of the time which means it is zero EV for me to even call the 3-bet. But that's assuming my A outs are good. Around half the time that an A flops I am going to lose - either to a set or a better A - and my odds of making a good hand with my crap kicker are negligible.

I probably find a raise/fold spot less than once/week so I know it isn't exploitable, but it is no less correct when it comes up.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're way off imo, raisefolding pf never happens in 6m limit

[/ QUOTE ]

I already know that it doesn´t happen beacause I never fold.But I would hope that someone would explain thourough exactly why we shouldn´t fold?
There is some bogus about preflop odds which doesn´t even nearly take into account that being OOP costs you a lot of the thin preflop equity (or odds) you had when you called preflop.
Every time I see someone advocating preflop calls and quantify some odds I feel sick.

22 is a favourite against AKs.
Put 22 OOP against that AKs and play a million hands and see if 22 was anywhere near to realize it´s preflop equity/odds.