Default A little golf quiz for fun.

Test your golf trivia skills.
Please use no assistance.
This is just for fun.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: A little golf quiz for fun.

Interesting. My guesses in white:
<font color="white">
1. Vijay. Although his season was considered an off-year, I think he actually played well, just not so much in the win column.

2. Furyk. I think he's sponsored by Srixon and probably plays that ball. I seem to remember him breaking away from Titleist in the last year or two.

3. Could be any, but I'm going with Sabbatini because while Daly has an underrated short game, he and Harrington had off seasons (until the British for Paddy). Rory had a great start to the season.

4. Well you listed Ogilvy twice? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Mostly I picked him though because he hits it a ton and Bubba is almost too easy of a choice.

5. $76M. Just seems right, he's had a couple of $10M seasons and has played for 11 years now.

6. Singh. Has been around longer than Phil, has had better seasons than Phil, and can't see it being Furyk.

7. Going Gay (not literally), Stricker only recently resurfaced and was said to have problems putting (IIRC), wheras Badds has had a mediocre few seasons and I never remember him being a good putter.

8. Singh and Els. I figure Singh has to be one of them as he is always near the top in scoring average and likes to bomb it on par 5s, this was the only choice in which he was listed.

9. Going with Woods. Phil's short game is overrated and I don't recall Singh being remarkable from the sand.

10. Firestone. Mostly because it's a tough par 70 and also a WGC event. Bay Hill went to a par 70 this year but I don't recall scores being particularly high. And TPC Southwind is kind of a one-off event that I can't imagine played that hard.</font>

Good quiz. Feel free to post the answers.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM

4. Well you listed Ogilvy twice? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Mostly I picked him though because he hits it a ton and Bubba is almost too easy of a choice.

Oops. One of those Ogilvy's is supposed to be Brett Wetterich and the correct answer. Ha. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM

I also notice it would be nice if I could spell Phil Mickelson.

Answers later tonight.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 AM

My guesses

<font color="white"> 1)PHIL
2)Furyk-srixon I think?
3)Sabbatini-Seems like he would miss a lot of greens considering how hard he goes after the ball. He scores well so he has to be a good scrambler.
4)Bubba is a beast
5)No idea but chose $65 mil
6)Have to assume Phil
7)They always talk about how good of a putter Badds is so I think it's him.
8)I think Phil has to be included so I chose #2. Close those b/c any of these guys could be the ones.
9)Phil
10)Firestone?

</font>
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 AM

Thanks for playing along. I think stats are interesting.

1) Ernie Els is second to Tiger this season in scoring average, though he is a full 1 1/2 strokes behind. Lefty is fifth, Vijay eighth.

2) Furyk uses the Srixon ball. And he is 3rd in driving accuracy percentage with that swing of his! Go figure.

3) Rory Sabbatini has missed 546 greens in regulation in 81 rounds. That means he misses nearly 7 greens per round. Good news for him is that he makes par or better 64% of the time. Almost as good as bonds. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] BTW Daly is 195th on this list for 2007 with a 49% conversion rate.

4) Oops. Brett Wetterich has the two longest drives on tour this year. 437 and 435. Bubba Watson's longest was 402.

5) Woods has made $76 million on the PGA TOUR. Seems like a lot of dough until you read things like this most overpayed baseball players and this most overpayed baseball players part deux.

6) Vijay has $54, Lefty $45, Furyk $35.

7) Aaron Baddeley averaged 27.96 putts in 2006 and 27.88 in 2003. In those years he was 55th and 73rd on the money list. I thought it was drive for show, putt for dough?

8) Par-5s? Goosen led this stat in 2004 converting 107 of 188. Mickelson is leading it in 2007 with 120 of 216. 2000 was Tiger's best year with 164 of 265 or 62%.

9) Vijay was best of these three from the sand, but he was only 53rd on the list. Woods is 67th. Phil is 83rd.

10) Firestone. Nice work. Thick rough helped make the course tougher than it had been in years and only one player broke par for the week. Tiger, of course.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 AM

iirc my guesses were phil, zach, daly, ogilvy #2, 76mm, vijay, baddeley, singh/els, vijay, firestone. welp, 5/9 isn't failing!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 PM

4/10, nice quiz. good idea but next time
Phil Michelson = Mickelson hehe
Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Technically there were only nine questions, as one of them didn't include the correct answer (but I almost certainly would have missed it). I got 5/9, the incorrect answers were tricky and good.