Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 AM

Default In Defense of my Blind

I think there is a subtle difference between re-stealing and defending your blinds and I wanted to get the forum's feedback on this topic. As I see it, defending your blind is actually a subset of re-stealing - that is you can resteal from a later position than the villian's raise, but you can only defend when *really* in the BB.

I recently had the following situations occur. Please critique all aspects, but I'd really appreciate reasons for your actions and an answer to the very important question - What's my next step?

HAND 1:

FT of a $10 MTT. There are 7/350 left. Blinds/antes - 3,000/1,500/200 for T4,900. The $ isn't really too interesting until about 4th. First is only just under $700, so nothing life changing. To me, taking it down is more important than the pay-out.

HERO: has 33,000 after posting the BB. He has been very active in push or fold mode and has doubled his stack with no show-downs. Table has been very active with a pf raise of ~3XBB on almost every hand which usually gets the pot. I have recently re-stolen an MPs raise from the button uncontested.

Villian: Has T40,000 or so (he covers me)and is in 4th overall to my 5th. He has been stealing (?) or at least raising pf about once an orbit. He has not gotten out of line & seems a bit passive.

ACTION: Villian raises to 9,000 and all fold to Hero in BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero?

HAND 2:

Late in a $10 MTT TURBO (3 min blind levels). There are 70/375 left, Money starts at 36. Blinds/antes - 1,000/500/100 for T2,400.

HERO: has 8,000 after posting the BB. He has been very active in position and has doubled his stack recently when his KK held up. Table has been too passive for the turbo structure as 4 players have >8K and 5 players have ~2K to 4K.

Villian: Has T3,500 or so in the SB, but I don't have really any read on his play.

ACTION: Villian raises to 3,500 (AI) from the SB. Hero has T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero?

So as to not bias the replies, I will add that Hero saw a flop in both instances. Is this the correct line? How do you get there?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: In Defense of my Blind

[ QUOTE ]

So as to not bias the replies, I will add that Hero saw a flop in both instances. Is this the correct line? How do you get there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really like your line as I am either pushing or folding these hands around the 10xbb mark. If you were calling with the intent of stopngo, it is extremely risky without a pair as villain will hit his hand 33% of the time (not even counting draws) and with very little FE, and a good portion of the rest of the time he already had a hand.

You either have to shove these or fold them. The only reason I can see you calling is stop n go, is this correct?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You either have to shove these or fold them. The only reason I can see you calling is stop n go, is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that I called, only that I saw the flop. Clearly in case #2 I called as villian pushed. In Case #1 I could call, re-raise some, or re-raise AI. I want to see what others would do here & if the call was correct in case #2.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that I called, only that I saw the flop. Clearly in case #2 I called as villian pushed. In Case #1 I could call, re-raise some, or re-raise AI. I want to see what others would do here & if the call was correct in case #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, my bad.

I don't really like the allin call on hand #2 as you have no reads on villain.

In hand #1, like I said I would either shove or fold and given your reads that villain has been stealing a lot, I would probably shove (with very little FE).