Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Hijacking a plane -- Could you do it?

I'm not a terrorist. I recently re-watched Passenger 57. Anyway, if you had $10MM and 30 devoted and capable people to work with, could you pull off a hijacking of a large passenger jet in this day and age?

Assume that your 30 people aren't all allowed to be super experts in every field. Let's assume that you can choose them from your list of friends, family, and closer acquaintances.

I'm curious how many think they could do it, and if that number is fairly high, that's actually quite scary.

For those who don't think they could pull it off due to the limit on money and helpers, how much money and how many people would you need to have a reasonable chance to pull it off?

-RMJ
Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Hijacking a plane -- Could you do it?

I don't think anyone is allowed to joke or theorize about this.

The FBI already knows about and constantly monitors these boards, thanks to Iron81.

Over/under on how long before the OP's door is kicked in on a raid? I say about 180 mins from orig post time.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 PM

In this day and age, it would be pretty difficult, considering all of the extra security precautions that airports and airlines are taking. More importantly, controlling the passengers would prove to be very difficult, especially considering that they likely wouldn't sit quietly while the terrorists fly the plane into a skyscrapper.

Also, I have forwarded your thread and sn along to the Dept. of Homeland Security. Enjoy the wire taps and decrease in privacy!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this day and age, it would be pretty difficult, considering all of the extra security precautions that airports and airlines are taking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never worked at an airport then. There are so many holes in the security that anybody of reasonable intelligence and determination can get by it.

I'm sure the new security makes the public feel safe though.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:22 PM

1. There's no way you can involve 30 people and not have it get out.

2. For what purpose are we hijacking this plane?

3. People now know better than to let someone hijack a plane. As soon as some dude or five or ten rush the cockpit, there'd be 100 people busting them up.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone is allowed to joke or theorize about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're pretty much joking about the rest of it, but to address the above quoted piece...

Right, and if the government were to ban this type of OPEN discussion, that would seriously put a cramp on the world's security.

This is similar to banning guns... then, only the bad guys have them.

-RMJ
Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In this day and age, it would be pretty difficult, considering all of the extra security precautions that airports and airlines are taking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never worked at an airport then. There are so many holes in the security that anybody of reasonable intelligence and determination can get by it.

I'm sure the new security makes the public feel safe though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. But yeah, it does make me feel safe while flying.

And LOL at the OP's title.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this day and age, it would be pretty difficult, considering all of the extra security precautions that airports and airlines are taking. More importantly, controlling the passengers would prove to be very difficult, especially considering that they likely wouldn't sit quietly while the terrorists fly the plane into a skyscrapper.

Also, I have forwarded your thread and sn along to the Dept. of Homeland Security. Enjoy the wire taps and decrease in privacy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly every weekend, security is a feel safe not a real safe
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. There's no way you can involve 30 people and not have it get out.

2. For what purpose are we hijacking this plane?

3. People now know better than to let someone hijack a plane. As soon as some dude or five or ten rush the cockpit, there'd be 100 people busting them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Definitely agree, and so that's why I specifically stated that these were 'devoted and capable' types. I know it's not a great way to say that they're going to be careful and do their best not to leak anything at all.

2. Didn't really think about this... maybe it matters a lot, I'm not sure.

3. Yes, this is important. Today, we all know that passengers aren't going to just sit back and let crazy people take over a plane. They'd try to bumrush the attackers, etc. Now, if it's that obvious, the terrorist types know this too.

This would lead me to believe that if there is another attack similar to a 9/11 attack, then it will surely be a lot bloodier in the air before the plane's control is actually transferred over into the hands of the terrorists. Bluntly speaking, I think terrorists would just plan to knock off all passengers at a really early stage.

And, if we actually got good discussion going, it would be interesting to have Homeland Security or some other agency read the thread. Because, frankly, some of the new checks at the airports are near-useless. And, just through observation, there seem to be quite a few ways you could slip things by, and that's just sad and scary.

-RMJ
Old 04-05-2007, 12:46 PM

This sounds so easy.
Closed Thread